- Current EL load is 1M5 events a day; the system can handle the load where it is now, but reducing would be a good idea.
- VE is ~ 70K edits -> @ 100% ~ 150K events a day
- WT is ~ 2M5 edits -> @ 25% ~ 1M25 events a day
- Reducing the sampling rate from 100% on VE would be irritating for bug tracing (as often these bugs only strike once or twice).
- As the WT data is so vastly huge in comparison, cutting that even slightly would have much more impact on EL load than doing so for VE.
- We don't use the WT data the same way, so reducing that won't be problematic from the Editing department's POV.
Consequently, drop WT sampling from 4/16 (25%) to 1/16 (6.25%) using the existing system (which uses the first hex character of the session id) as that should continue to be evenly distributed on user activities.