Don't interrupt userpage editing with ContentTranslation pop-ups
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

In several recent wiki editing workshops I conducted (with a total of a couple hundreds attendees, I think), the main obstacle users encountered in creating their user page was the ContentTranslation popup which absurdly suggests to translate the userpage from another language.

There are very few cases where ContentTranslation may be userful in the User namespace, and none when one is editing (creating) a userpage (i.e. non-subpage page in User namespace).

Nemo_bis created this task.May 18 2016, 8:44 PM
Restricted Application added subscribers: Zppix, Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptMay 18 2016, 8:44 PM
Nemo_bis triaged this task as "High" priority.May 18 2016, 8:44 PM
Amire80 changed the title from "Don't interrupt userpage editing with ContentTranslation pupups" to "Don't interrupt userpage editing with ContentTranslation pop-ups".May 19 2016, 7:35 AM
Amire80 lowered the priority of this task from "High" to "Normal".EditedMay 19 2016, 7:45 AM
Amire80 added a subscriber: Amire80.

Thanks. I can reproduce this, but only when editing the user page with VE. It's indeed unnecessary anywhere outside the main namespace.

We should probably run $out->addModules( 'ext.cx.campaigns.newarticle.veloader' ); only in the main namespace.

Other opinions?

Also, for some reason ext.cx.campaigns.newarticle.veloader and ext.cx.campaigns.newarticle are loaded in different hooks, which is odd. I guess that I did at long ago when we were creating the campaigns, I'm not sure why, and I suspect that it must be fixed and loaded in the same hook.

Change 289602 had a related patch set uploaded (by Amire80):
Show the newarticle CX campaign to VE users only in the main namespace

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/289602

Also, for some reason ext.cx.campaigns.newarticle.veloader and ext.cx.campaigns.newarticle are loaded in different hooks, which is odd. I guess that I did at long ago when we were creating the campaigns, I'm not sure why, and I suspect that it must be fixed and loaded in the same hook.

... OK, it's because of different hooks :/

I sent a simple patch and added a comment about this.

Restricted Application added a subscriber: TerraCodes. · View Herald TranscriptMay 19 2016, 8:04 AM
Amire80 moved this task from Backlog to In Review on the Language-Q4-2016-Sprint 3 board.
Amire80 claimed this task.
Amire80 moved this task from Backlog to CX9 on the ContentTranslation board.May 19 2016, 4:31 PM
Amire80 added a project: WorkType-Maintenance.

Change 289602 merged by jenkins-bot:
Show the newarticle CX campaign to VE users only in the main namespace

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/289602

Arrbee closed this task as "Resolved".May 31 2016, 6:39 AM
Arrbee moved this task from QA to Done on the Language-Q4-2016-Sprint 3 board.