Odd things happen when a Find+Replace rule contains the string "\r\n". Try these steps:
(1) Reset to original default settings
(2) Add a F+R rule, find "foo\r\n" replace "bar", regex ticked; click OK to dismiss the F+R dialog
(3) Redisplay the F+R dialog and click "Cancel" to dismiss it
(4) Redisplay the F+R dialog and carefully step the text cursor through the "find" string.
The "Find" string has been damaged; there's now an invisible control character between the "foo" and the "\r\n"
(5) Click "OK" to dismiss the F+R dialog
(6) Save the settings
(7) Load the settings
(8) Redisplay the F+R dialog
The "Find" string is further damaged; it now reads "foo\r\n\r\n"
What actually happened is that a couple of weeks back I edited a F+R regex using the regex tester and must have accidentally included a newline when pasting in part of a regex. Thanks to this doubling effect, by the time I realised what was wrong, my settings file was padded with 20 Megabytes of extra newlines!
AWB 220.127.116.11 SVN 12004
Internet Explorer version: 11.0.10586.494
.NET version: 2.0.50727.8689
Windows version: 6.2