In the Wikimedia Foundation's 2017–2018 Annual Plan, Program 3 for Audiences is to "Increase device support for editing"
With Internet access and mobile device usage rapidly growing, many people in our emerging communities access the Internet exclusively using mobile devices. With so many new users coming online, the steep learning curve involved in contributing to our projects leads to high reversion rates early on. We will extend the long-form editing experience so that it is great on all devices as well as investigate other contribution tasks that are appropriate for mobile devices.
The main goal is to support content contribution on mobile devices.
The desired outcome is: In emerging communities, engagement and number of participants increases, and the proportion of mobile contributions continues its strong growth.
- Improve and consolidate our unified editing platform so that it's great on all devices
- Invest in our future by researching a radically better multi-lingual content system (both reading and editing), compatible across all devices
- Collaborate with Reading to create new mechanisms by which to contribute edits with lower context or in small ways on mobile devices
- Maintain editing technologies with very high up-time for all our users. Reduce product and technical debt to modernise our tools and technologies, and to make future changes more effective and efficient
- Modernise user interface technologies to encompass mobile and desktop platforms, with continued work on the Wikimedia-wide adoption of a standard Web user interface library
- Support work towards unifying MediaWiki's parser implementations, in liaison with Technology's MediaWiki team
The targets are:
- The proportion of mobile edits of all non-bot edits grows significantly across all Wikimedia wikis
- The proportion of mobile editors of all non-bot editors in emerging communities grows significantly
- The breadth and depth of content in emerging communities grows significantly
- The quantity of mobile contributions of a specific contribution type on a specific wiki with community approval increases
- We determine the future direction of Wikidata description editing, based on the initial launch, outcomes, and community feedback