Description by @ArielGlenn:
It seems that somehow Flow\RevisionActionPermissions->isAllowed() winds up getting actual revision text if you follow the code far enough down the rabbit hole.
- $last = $cache->getLastRevisionFor( $revision ); leads to
- $lastRevision = $revision->getCollection()->getLastRevision(); which eventually leads to
- AbstractCollections::getAllRevisions() which calls
- Flow\Data'ObjectLocator::getStorage()->find which after a few layers gets around to
- Flow\Data\Storage\RevisionStorage::mergeExternalContent() which, once you get through mergeMulti, you find is going to do
- ExternalStore::batchfetchFromURLs() and there you have it.
We only need the metadata in order to make permission decisions, revision content ought to be lazyloaded, or at the very least there ought to be the option to lazyload it.