Front end development requirements for the Research landing page.
Priorities needed to launch
- sub-page to parent page nav currently, you can't navigate directly from a level-2 nav item back to the parent page. For example, if I'm on increasing-diversity.html and want to go back its parent page, projects.html, I can't do that directly. I would need to click on some other level-1 page and then click on "Projects".
- Implement new classes @cmadeo's prototype is pretty close to the current style guide, but there are a couple of 'new' elements. The most important of these, from my point of view, are what I'm calling the "preview cards" (for lack of a better term) that are used here to display previews of featured projects. There are also some slight differences between Carolyn's prototype and the Style Guide framework in the styling of some items in the header and footer, and I don't know how to implement these in the current stylesheet.
- header: tagline
- footer: social media icons. >> We haven't had discussion about such styles in the style guide itself, decided to go for text-only variant links for now
- Team member cards with a headshot, name, and title.
- Horizontal alignment issue
- Three-column link list under the "Resources and Links" section of this mock
- Whitespace at bottom
- The margin between paragraphs and also between the body text and the title could benefit from a bit more breathing room, perhaps 2rem 0 0? >> Went for 1.2rem 0 0 for now in regards of mobile
Featured Projects – https://github.com/wikimedia-research/landing-page/pull/11
- The page title and featured project titles should be the same size and weight, or if we'd like them to be different the featured project title should be decreased more (perhaps 24px (2.4 rem) and 500 weight) >> We are not able to provide`500` for Lato currently
- The line height looks a bit tight on the subtitle text for the featured projects. Could it be increased to 1.6?
- The margin between the card title and description should be 10px. >> 8px to stay in distance base
- The card descriptions should be a standard height (perhaps five lines) so that the cell takes up the same space regardless of text length.
- Ideally the 'read more' links would all be bottom aligned with 20px of margin between the description box and the link.
Research team – https://github.com/wikimedia-research/landing-page/pull/12
- Currently the profile images are of varying heights, would it be possible to mask them to all be a single standard height? Also if you need help with this I can easily edit the images and send them back to you.
- The name and title text feels a touch too large, could it be pulled back to 1.4 / 14
Some of these requirements may already be addressed in the WikimediaUI Style Guide framework. If so, we'll need pointers to those.
From @DarTar in-person feedback:
- Go for grayscale headshots for launch (until next Research offsite)