This epic captures a proposed new "micro-contribution" which allows multilingual users to translate image captions from Commons shown within articles on the Android app.
Show a prompt to translate an image caption when the caption is missing for the language in which the article is being read, but is available in another language the user knows.
(This means users who have only one app language should *never* see a CTA to translate captions.)
1. Add translation flow
User job story: For a Multilingual reader of Wikipedia
When... I'm shown an image without a caption in the article's language...
I want... to be shown the caption (if it exists) in another language I can read, with an option to translate it to the original article's language,
...so that I can... better understand the image and have the opportunity to contribute a translation.
Scenario: In the following flow, the user has opened an image on EN Wikipedia, which has no English captions, only a French caption. They are therefore prompted to add a translation for the language of the Wiki they are on (EN) because they have the system language of English and the search language of French.
- Open an English article, and tap to view an image in the full screen gallery which does not have an English caption, but does have a French caption.
- Tap on CTA to translate the caption.
- Onboarding is triggered the first time the CTA is tapped.
- User finishes viewing the caption translation onboarding and is shown the image caption translation screen
- User enters a very long caption and sees a warning about exceeding the recommended caption length (note this is not enforced)
- User taps on the preview thumb list item to view a larger version of the image and full caption in French in a modal dialog
- User returns to the caption translation screen and provides a shorter English translation within the recommended character limit
- User selects the checkmark to complete the translation. It is expected that they will be shown the caption translation completed message. (This full message should only be shown for the first 3 times a user adds a translation)
- Upon closing the confirmation message, user is shown the image with the new English caption as well as a CTA to edit their translation (note: this edit translation action is only visible to the user who made the edit in the same session)
2. Caption translation queue
User job story: For a Multilingual reader who has contributed a caption translation
When... I have demonstrated my abilities as an editor of good standing...
I want to... be shown more images requiring translations,
...so that I can... maintain and grow my contributions to Wikipedia.
Scenario: A user with EN and FR set in their app has made a good quality caption translation. Based on similar flows for Title descriptions, we may initially set the criteria for 'good quality' as a caption that has not been reverted in the 48hrs after they were created.
- User is shown a dialog advising they have "unlocked" a queue of images requiring caption translations
- Upon selecting "Get started" they are shown the Caption translation feed, where each card in the feed shows an image that requires a caption translated from the first language to the second.
- User scrolls down the feed and sees a CTA to load more cards.
Notes on the design:
- TBC how the queue will populate captions, initially we could just generate 10 images in the queue based on the language pairing selected (in this eg., the user has their first app language as EN and they want to translate to EN any captions that contain French.
- The user is able to change language pairings within those that are in their app settings.
- We may restrict this queue only to users who are logged in to the app.