Page MenuHomePhabricator

CX2: Bullet points are missing when rendered inside Content Translation
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

en:Ifakara has a bullet list, but the bullet points are not visible when it is rendered as the source article of a translation. After adding it to the translation, we get separate bullet points as separate sentences, and "Bullet list" is selected in VE toolbar, but we miss the actual bullets:

ArticleBefore translationAfter translation

This is an issue in the visual appearance caused by Content Translation specific CSS. Unordered lists are the only ones affected. Ordered lists are displayed correctly and en:New_Worlds_Mission has example of both. Here is what we have with and without the margins applied:

Without our CSS ruleWith CSS rule

Event Timeline

Restricted Application changed the subtype of this task from "Deadline" to "Task". · View Herald TranscriptAug 21 2018, 7:16 PM

Another example in en:New_Worlds_Mission:

ArticleCX2

I wonder if this is happening in all these circumstances, or only in some of them:
a) When an MT not supporting HTML content such as Apertium is used (i.e., the issue may be how bullet points are reconstructed from the plain text translation).
b) When an MT that supports HTML content such as Yandex is used (i.e., the issue may be in the services side).
c) When content is added by copying from the source.

I wonder if this is happening in all these circumstances, or only in some of them:
a) When an MT not supporting HTML content such as Apertium is used (i.e., the issue may be how bullet points are reconstructed from the plain text translation).
b) When an MT that supports HTML content such as Yandex is used (i.e., the issue may be in the services side).
c) When content is added by copying from the source.

Sorry if my description wasn't clear and screenshots misleading. List of items misses bullets in source column. That is before any MT is applied.

This is actually only the visual appearance, caused by our CSS. Unordered lists are the only ones affected. Ordered lists are displayed correctly and en:New_Worlds_Mission has example of both.
Here is what we have with and without the margins applied:

Without our CSS ruleWith CSS rule
Pginer-WMF renamed this task from CX2: Bullet points are missing to CX2: Bullet points are missing when rendered inside Content Translation.Aug 27 2018, 1:15 PM
Pginer-WMF updated the task description. (Show Details)
Pginer-WMF updated the task description. (Show Details)Aug 27 2018, 1:17 PM

Thanks for the details @Petar.petkovic, I updated the title and description with the additional info.

Change 455559 had a related patch set uploaded (by Petar.petkovic; owner: Petar.petkovic):
[mediawiki/extensions/ContentTranslation@master] Fix unordered list margins

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/455559

Petar.petkovic moved this task from Backlog to In Review on the Language-2018-July-September board.
Petar.petkovic moved this task from Needs Triage to CX2 on the ContentTranslation board.

Change 455559 merged by jenkins-bot:
[mediawiki/extensions/ContentTranslation@master] Fix unordered list margins

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/455559

Petar.petkovic moved this task from In Review to QA on the Language-2018-July-September board.
Petar.petkovic removed a subscriber: gerritbot.
Pginer-WMF closed this task as Resolved.Aug 31 2018, 7:27 AM
Pginer-WMF moved this task from QA to Done on the Language-2018-July-September board.

I tried the example article in production, and the bullet points are visible, both in the source article and the translation: