Page MenuHomePhabricator

WDQS Graph view not expanding nodes anymore
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

To be confirmed: the Graph result view on Wikidata Query Service used to allow expanding nodes when clicking on them, now it's not confirmed anymore.

Example: this query
Expected result: when clicking on any node, it would expand to show the other statements related to that QID
Current result: when clicking on a node, it doesn't expand

Issue reported by @Fuzheado on Telegram

Event Timeline

Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptFeb 7 2020, 8:36 AM
Salgo60 added a subscriber: Salgo60.Feb 7 2020, 1:46 PM

Strange… we haven’t touched that code in a long time (last commits to wikibase/queryService/ui/resultBrowser/GraphResultBrowser* in summer of 2018). And when I check out a commit from May 2018, I can still reproduce the issue. So I guess this must have changed due to differences in dependencies. (Back in 2018, we did not commit the package-lock.json yet, so checking out that commit today and running npm ci probably gives me modern dependencies.)

But if I check out the earliest commit with a valid package-lock.json, reinstall dependencies as of that time, and try again, the graph nodes still don’t expand. So I think it must have broken before September 2019.

Side note, this query is more convenient for testing – the original one uses named subqueries, which produce some unrelated errors in the console.

Aaaah! It’s due to T235540: StackOverflowError when SPARQL query uses same variable name before and after aggregation. The query service returns an error and it’s not logged anywhere, so you only notice if you look at the network panel.

Change 576872 had a related patch set uploaded (by Lucas Werkmeister (WMDE); owner: Lucas Werkmeister (WMDE)):
[wikidata/query/gui@master] Work around query service bug for (?x AS ?x)

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/576872

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/576879 and https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/576880 are not directly related to this task, but fix the errors being swallowed silently, at least a little bit.

Change 576872 merged by jenkins-bot:
[wikidata/query/gui@master] Work around query service bug for (?x AS ?x)

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/576872

Maintenance_bot moved this task from incoming to in progress on the Wikidata board.Mar 4 2020, 6:15 PM

Change 593520 had a related patch set uploaded (by Lucas Werkmeister (WMDE); owner: Lucas Werkmeister (WMDE)):
[wikidata/query/gui-deploy@production] Merging from 5546deb8f12e0b3ef2d6f5dbfb28e76f15a92fd7:

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/593520

Change 594442 had a related patch set uploaded (by Lucas Werkmeister (WMDE); owner: Lucas Werkmeister (WMDE)):
[wikidata/query/gui-deploy@production] Merging from 8aded016c8b9d376c7defbbb33684cd57b50c604:

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/594442

Change 593520 abandoned by Lucas Werkmeister (WMDE):
Merging from 5546deb8f12e0b3ef2d6f5dbfb28e76f15a92fd7:

Reason:
Superseded by Id1fe3fce30.

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/593520

Change 594442 merged by Gehel:
[wikidata/query/gui-deploy@production] Merging from 8aded016c8b9d376c7defbbb33684cd57b50c604:

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/594442

Abbe98 closed this task as Resolved.Sat, May 9, 10:09 AM
Abbe98 claimed this task.
Abbe98 added a subscriber: Abbe98.

Closing as it's deployed and confirmed.

Abbe98 removed Abbe98 as the assignee of this task.Sat, May 9, 10:12 AM