Page MenuHomePhabricator

Stop collecting InukaPageView data from web clients
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

The InukaPageView stream contains data from the newly release KaiOS app as well as a sample of Android, iOS, and KaiOS web users from India, Nigeria, and South Africa.

We no longer want to collect the data from web users, since the team has higher priorities for analysis and has passed the stage where analyzing it would have been most useful. Moreover, the web data had serious quality issues which we never managed to figure out (T247892).

In our case, this means we need to:

  • Remove the instrumentation code
  • Update the schema's documentation to reflect that the android-web, ios-web, and kaios-web values of client_type are unused. This will be on Meta if it's still we're still EventLogging when we do this or in the schema repo if we've switched to the Event Platform by then.

Event Timeline

nshahquinn-wmf added a subscriber: SBisson.

I had assigned Stephane by mistake.

SBisson edited projects, added Inuka-Team (Kanban); removed Inuka-Team.
SBisson moved this task from Backlog to Dev on the Inuka-Team (Kanban) board.

Change 667218 had a related patch set uploaded (by Sbisson; owner: Sbisson):
[mediawiki/extensions/WikimediaEvents@master] Remove InukaPageView instrumentation

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/667218

Change 667219 had a related patch set uploaded (by Sbisson; owner: Sbisson):
[operations/mediawiki-config@master] Remove unused config for InukaPageView

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/667219

Change 667218 merged by jenkins-bot:
[mediawiki/extensions/WikimediaEvents@master] Remove InukaPageView instrumentation

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/667218

@nshahquinn-wmf I made some changes to the schema to make it app only. Please review the diff. Thanks!

@nshahquinn-wmf I made some changes to the schema to make it app only. Please review the diff. Thanks!

Unfortunately, we can't make backwards-incompatible changes even if all new data will still validate (I believe because the schemas are used to define the database layouts, and those still need to hold the old data). I reverted and updated the description fields instead.

I just checked the data and we are now receiving almost nothing from the web clients, so this seems done!

Change 667219 merged by jenkins-bot:
[operations/mediawiki-config@master] Remove unused config for InukaPageView

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/667219

Mentioned in SAL (#wikimedia-operations) [2021-03-10T19:06:22Z] <urbanecm@deploy1002> Synchronized wmf-config/InitialiseSettings.php: fe99c312b3ce635342cbd690c34e2610184b74b0: Remove unused config for InukaPageView (T265921) (duration: 01m 26s)