Steps to Reproduce:
- Select the ISO 8601 format in your preferences (this is the default if your locale is French for example)
- Visit https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T13267 (this is just an example, I just picked here a bug that was submitted years ago) or just render this bug report page.
You'll see that
- years are not displayed, it's impossible to see accurate dates for bugs or comments submitted years ago !
- the ISO 8601 format is in fact not used at all, instead the en-US format is used (but with months or abbrevs translated in the user's language, and incorrecly ordered)
- "fév 22 AM, 10:57" (if French is the selected UI language)
- which is complete non-sense (in French days of the month should be *before* the month name, abbreviated here)
- the "AM/PM" makes no sense at all in French: note that the default is already using the 24-hours format.
- "Jeu, Fév 22, 10:57" (if instead of the ISO 8601 default we select ISO 8601 explicitly): note that the weekday abbreviation appears, AM/PM disappears, but still incorrect order with day of month incorrectly after the month abbrev, the month abbrev now is incorrectly capitalized, and there's still no years!
- "22 fév 2014, 10:57 UTC" (for the normal French format), or
- "2014-02-22 10:57 UTC" (for the ISO 8601, if using the local time from the locale, however the timezone should be displayed, we are not all in the US and even in UK, UTC is not correct across seasons!), or
- "2014-02-22T10:57Z" (for the standard ISO 8601 format in the UTC timezone)
In all cases, the format MUST explicitly display the year and the timezone.
- We MUST select the English (US?) locale to see years (sometimes...)
- We don't know which timezone is used for time.
So Phabricator is almost unusable in any other language than English for the UI, as we must to be able to track time correctly! In fact ALL occurences of dates formatted in Phabricator are wrong, the formater does not work at all (probably lot of failed assumptions or incorrect management/loading of locale settings).
I note that the date formatter seems to use two different formats:
- the first one for recent dates (less than one mon ago, with the weekday added, but no AM/PM, and using inconsistant capitalization of months and no year, assuming this is the current year, or just last year for dates in December in the previous year displayed in January)
- and another one for older dates (displaying AM/PM even if it's not needed for the 24-hours format, but still no year!)
The date formater used by Phabricator is a complete mess.