Page MenuHomePhabricator

Footer copyright notice should be displayed in user language rather than content language
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

We set up a global wiki for testing things in a RTL environment you can see it in [1]

We set our wiki language dv (for some reasons) In every language you see
copyright note in dv ("ހުރިހާ މާއްދާއެއް Creative Commons Attribution Share
Alike ގެ ދަށުން ލިބެން އެބަހުއްޓެވެ.")

[1] http://tools.wmflabs.org/wikitest-rtl/w/


Version: unspecified
Severity: normal

Details

Reference
bz49116

Event Timeline

bzimport raised the priority of this task from to Low.Nov 22 2014, 1:46 AM
bzimport set Reference to bz49116.
bzimport added a subscriber: Unknown Object (MLST).
Ladsgroup created this task.Jun 4 2013, 1:18 PM

How do you know it's ULS? Footer respects interface language on Meta.

It is part of interface and interface of the wiki changes with every language. Sorry for making it in wrong part.

So what exactly is the bug described here?
What is the actual outcome, and what is the expected outcome?

My expected outcome is everyone with every language they choose, see the copyright note in their own language (copyright note must be set with language of interface). I mean when I see this wiki in English language the copyright note (like other parts of interface) must be in English not in dv

It is a core MediaWiki issue. By default MediaWiki shows the copyright notice in the content language.

In Wikidata, for example, it's customized using the extension WikimediaMessages.

I agree that Skin::getCopyright() should be changed so that it returns the copyright notice in the user language rather than in the content language. All other parts of the footer (and chrome) are displayed in the user language.

Now I remember why it works this way...

The name of the license is stored in the site config as plain text, not an i18n string. So the name of the license can't be localized. Since it would be weird to switch languages in the middle of the copyright notice, we just render the entire notice in the content language. (Note that this doesn't necessarily apply to WMF wikis that use the WikimediaMessages extension.)

In order to fix this bug, we would need to change how our licensing text is set.

Hmm, looks like we use the user language anyway in the licensing notice on the edit page:
"Por favor observa que todas las contribuciones a Wikipedia se consideran hechas públicas bajo la Creative Commons Attribution..."

I guess we should go ahead and change Skin::getCopyright() to be consistent, even if it is slightly awkward. At least it will be more likely that a reader/reuser will actually be able to understand the copyright notice.

Change 120696 had a related patch set uploaded by Kaldari:
Always render copyright notice in user language

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/120696

(In reply to Ryan Kaldari from comment #8)

Hmm, looks like we use the user language anyway in the licensing notice on
the edit page:
"Por favor observa que todas las contribuciones a Wikipedia se consideran
hechas públicas bajo la Creative Commons Attribution..."

That specific wording comes from WikimediaMessages though.

Change 120696 merged by jenkins-bot:
Always render copyright notice in user language

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/120696

The patch is rather straightforward, this bug looks fixed. We can assess side effects later.

Change 155590 had a related patch set uploaded by Kaldari:
Display footer copyright notice in user language on mobile

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/155590

Change 155590 merged by jenkins-bot:
Display footer copyright notice in user language on mobile

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/155590

(In reply to Gerrit Notification Bot from comment #14)

Change 155590 merged by jenkins-bot:
Display footer copyright notice in user language on mobile
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/155590

Patch was merged - assuming this bug is FIXED. If that is not the case: Please reopen and elaborate what is left to do here to get this report fixed.