Page MenuHomePhabricator

The "Done" button doesn't go well with VisualEditor's Find And Replace bar
Closed, ResolvedPublic1 Estimated Story Points

Description

The "Done" button doesn't go well with VisualEditor's Find And Replace bar. It should probably say something like "Close".

This is closely related to T72281: "Done" doesn't actually refer to a dialog that didn't make any changes.

Event Timeline

Amire80 raised the priority of this task from to Unbreak Now!.
Amire80 updated the task description. (Show Details)
Amire80 added projects: VisualEditor, I18n.
Amire80 added a subscriber: Amire80.

Change 182882 had a related patch set uploaded (by Amire80):
Change "Done" to "Close" in Find And Replace

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/182882

Patch-For-Review

Change 182883 had a related patch set uploaded (by Amire80):
Add visualeditor-dialog-action-close message to RL module definition

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/182883

Patch-For-Review

For non-modal dialogs which may or may not modify the document, we've used 'done' instead of 'close' in other situations, such as the link inspector.

For non-modal dialogs which may or may not modify the document, we've used 'done' instead of 'close' in other situations, such as the link inspector.

I'm not sure that I understand. AFAIK this will be the first instance of "Close".

In any case, "Close" sounds much more appropriate to me here.

Exactly. We haven't used 'close' on any of our other dialogs and inspectors (e.g. link inspector, keyboard shortcuts dialog), or even used an 'x' button, so why should this be any different?

Because it's neither "Cancel" (I was about to change something, but didn't), nor "Done" (I was doing something and finished it).

In the Find And Replace dialog it shouldn't be "Cancel", because the change is not reverted, but it shouldn't be "Done" either, because the Replace button does the replacement. Close is the neutral action for this.

For what it's worth, Google Docs has an X (which translates to "Close" in my internal grammar), and LibreOffice has "Close".

I think it is "I was doing something and finished it" - I don't think 'Done' has to be constructive. I'm not convinced either way though, so I'd be happy to get more opinions.

Jdforrester-WMF claimed this task.

Yeah, I fundamentally disagree with the idea that "close" or "cancel" is a good message here. We're using "Done" as part of a deliberate design decision, and changing these should be done system-wide rather than in one-off hacks in particular places. The User Research team has repeatedly examined the issues with UX component confusion and the risk of more negative words making our users freak out and unsure of themselves and the system.

Also, "unbreak now" is grossly inappropriate for a cosmetic / minor semantic UX change. Please don't abuse the priority system like this.

Change 182882 abandoned by Jforrester:
Change "Done" to "Close" in Find And Replace

Reason:
See Phabricator.

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/182882

Change 182883 abandoned by Jforrester:
Add visualeditor-dialog-action-close message to RL module definition

Reason:
See Phabricator.

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/182883

Amire80 lowered the priority of this task from Unbreak Now! to Medium.
Amire80 updated the task description. (Show Details)

OK, calling it "unbreak now" may have been an exaggeration, but it's nevertheless an issue, at least in the languages to which I translate. See explanation at T72281. Basically, reusing messages is a bad idea even when the contexts seem similar:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Localisation#Avoid_message_reuse

Change 184642 had a related patch set uploaded (by Esanders):
Create separate message for find-and-replace-done

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/184642

Patch-For-Review

Jdforrester-WMF renamed this task from the "Done" button doesn't go well with VisualEditor's Find And Replace bar to The "Done" button doesn't go well with VisualEditor's Find And Replace bar.Jan 13 2015, 4:02 PM
Jdforrester-WMF reassigned this task from Jdforrester-WMF to Esanders.
Jdforrester-WMF moved this task from Blocked to Q4 on the VisualEditor board.

Change 184642 merged by jenkins-bot:
Create separate message for find-and-replace-done

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/184642