HomePhabricator

RFC Meeting: Per-language URLs for multilingual wiki pages (2016-02-10, #wikimedia-office)
ActivePublic

Hosted by daniel on Feb 10 2016, 10:00 PM - 11:00 PM.

Description

See the Architecture meetings page for more general information about this meeting (also: Phab query: list of upcoming RFC meetings, Phab query: list of all RFC meetings).

Recurring Event

Event Series
This event is an instance of E66: ArchCom RFC Meeting Wxx: <topic TBD> (<see "Starts" field>, #wikimedia-office), and repeats every week.

Event Timeline

RobLa-WMF added a comment.EditedFeb 3 2016, 10:58 PM

February 10: T114662 RFC: Per-language URLs for pages of multilingual wikis

RobLa-WMF renamed this event from RFC Meeting on #wikimedia-office IRC channel to RFC Meeting: Per-language URLs for pages of multilingual wikis (2016-02-10, #wikimedia-office).Feb 5 2016, 5:48 PM
RobLa-WMF updated the event description. (Show Details)Feb 5 2016, 5:51 PM
daniel renamed this event from RFC Meeting: Per-language URLs for pages of multilingual wikis (2016-02-10, #wikimedia-office) to RFC Meeting: Per-language URLs for multilingual wiki pages (2016-02-10, #wikimedia-office).Feb 5 2016, 11:00 PM

#wikimedia-office: T114662: RFC: Per-language URLs for multilingual wiki pages

Meeting started by robla at 22:01:38 UTC. The full logs are available
at
https://tools.wmflabs.org/meetbot/wikimedia-office/2016/wikimedia-office.2016-02-10-22.01.log.html
.

Meeting summary

  • T114662: RFC: Per-language URLs for multilingual wiki pages Channel is logged and publicly posted (DO NOT REMOVE THIS NOTE) | Logs: http://bots.wmflabs.org/~wm-bot/logs/%23wikimedia-office/ (robla, 22:02:20)
    • LINK: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T114662 (DanielK_WMDE, 22:03:02)
    • question discussed: should this generalize the mechanism for language variants? (robla, 22:07:06)
    • questions discussed: how do we ensure a good caching strategy? how often do we want URLs to be language specific? (robla, 22:12:07)
    • question discussed: what should happen when visiting a language neutral URL? (robla, 22:18:21)
    • examples at https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T114662#2016907 (DanielK_WMDE, 22:20:47)
    • jzerebecki suggests to use javascript to "fix" the address bar to show a language neutral url. SMalyshev thinks language neutral links are best for bookmarks and sharing (DanielK_WMDE, 22:22:15)
    • <TimStarling> we can just provide a toolbar link to the language-neutral URL (DanielK_WMDE, 22:23:17)
    • LINK: http://www.ethnologue.com/language/api (TimStarling, 22:23:38)
    • question: how does /api interact with this proposal? (robla, 22:24:02)
    • LINK: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:SiteMatrix plenty of 3 letter ones... (legoktm, 22:24:28)
    • daniel sais: i'm not thinking of putting the language code at the beginning of the path. I'd go for /wiki-xy/, or put the code later in the url, into the namespace, or even as a suffix. structrally, a suffix would make most sense. practically, putting it into the namespace would be asier, thought (DanielK_WMDE, 22:25:38)
    • <cscott> you shouldn't need to specify that you want the page in zh-cn twice in the URL, once for languageconverter and once for the commons ui (DanielK_WMDE, 22:26:45)
    • <Marybelle> I think adding a fourth URL pattern is a bad idea without a clear plan.the commons ui (DanielK_WMDE, 22:26:58)
    • purging hundreds of variants with different URLs won't be feasible until we have Varnish 4 (gwicke, 22:27:29)
    • <cscott> My proposal is still preserving the difference between zh.wikipedia.org/yue and yue.wikipedia.org/yue (DanielK_WMDE, 22:34:19)
    • figure out how to specify "i want to see content in target language/variant X". (DanielK_WMDE, 22:44:33)
    • <TimStarling> /wiki-de/Talk:Q1234 could redirect to /wiki/Talk:Q1234 (DanielK_WMDE, 22:46:38)
    • <gwicke> we could add VCL magic to understand variants & their relation and rewrite things so that all variants map to the same hash (DanielK_WMDE, 22:48:26)
    • <gwicke> for apis, modeling variants affecting content as a domain would be a lot simpler currently (gwicke, 22:49:12)
    • question discussed: should talk pages associated with multilingual content be polylingual? (robla, 22:49:29)
    • one of the main concerns is to have a *sane* url scheme, and not come up with something too ad-hoc. And overall, the confusing mess of i18n for mediawiki shouldn't become even more complicated. (DanielK_WMDE, 22:51:10)
    • <cscott> no, i think it's worthwhile separating *projects* from *languages*. there is not a 1-to-1 mapping.#info (DanielK_WMDE, 22:54:11)
    • TimStarling likes language codes in the path, like /zh/ or /wiki-de/ (DanielK_WMDE, 22:55:55)
    • <TimStarling> I'm open to the title extension idea (DanielK_WMDE, 22:56:44)
    • ACTION: DanielK_WMDE to list proposed URL schemes with pros/cons (TimStarling, 22:57:32)
    • robla suggests this one is complicated enough a good goal for a followup RFC meeting is a field narrowing discussion (robla, 23:00:58)
    • ACTION: confer with ops re vcl_hash (TimStarling, 23:01:52)

Meeting ended at 23:02:15 UTC.

Action items, by person

  • DanielK_WMDE
    • DanielK_WMDE to list proposed URL schemes with pros/cons

People present (lines said)

  • DanielK_WMDE (100)
  • cscott (59)
  • TimStarling (49)
  • SMalyshev (42)
  • gwicke (31)
  • robla (18)
  • Marybelle (17)
  • Scott_WUaS (8)
  • aude (7)
  • legoktm (5)
  • wm-labs-meetbot (3)
  • MaxSem (3)
  • jzerebecki (3)
  • quiddity (2)
  • hoo (1)

Generated by MeetBot_ 0.1.4

daniel renamed this event from RFC Meeting: Per-language URLs for multilingual wiki pages (2016-02-10, #wikimedia-office) to ArchCom RFC Meeting Wxx: <topic TBD> (<see "Starts" field>, #wikimedia-office).Nov 21 2016, 6:11 PM
daniel changed the host of this event from RobLa-WMF to daniel.
daniel invited: ; uninvited: .
daniel updated the event description. (Show Details)
ssastry renamed this event from ArchCom RFC Meeting Wxx: <topic TBD> (<see "Starts" field>, #wikimedia-office) to RFC Meeting: Per-language URLs for multilingual wiki pages (2016-02-10, #wikimedia-office) .Nov 30 2016, 4:49 PM
ssastry changed the start date for this event from Feb 10 2016, 10:00 PM to Feb 10 2016, 10:00 PM.
ssastry changed the end date for this event from Feb 10 2016, 11:00 PM to Feb 10 2016, 11:00 PM.
daniel updated the event description. (Show Details)Dec 9 2016, 7:45 AM