Page MenuHomePhabricator

MT card broken for newly-deployed non-default languages
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

To reproduce:

  1. Go to a language where non-default MT was enabled recently (e.g. Swahili), and where you haven't tried it yet.
  2. Start translating an article from English to that language. Click a paragraph. The inserted paragraph will be in English, as expected.
  3. The green "with new options" label appears in the MT card, as expected.
  4. Click the MT engine selection dropdown (labeled "Use source text"). Select "Use Yandex" in the dropdown.
    1. Observed: The dropdown still says "Use source text". Expected: "Use Yandex".
    2. Observed: The text is still English. Expected: Swahili.
  5. Select "Use Yandex" again.
    1. Observed: The page scrolls down. It shouldn't.
    2. Observed. The text is still English. Expected Swahili.

To actually make it Swahili, "Restore" can be clicked, but this is quite confusing.

The point of the green "new" notification is supposed to make this feature easy to discover and start using, but the actual process at the moment is very unusual.

Event Timeline

Amire80 created this task.Mar 22 2016, 8:33 AM
Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptMar 22 2016, 8:33 AM
Amire80 triaged this task as High priority.Mar 22 2016, 8:34 AM

High priority because we are deploying a lot of non-default languages at the moment.

  1. Click "Use source text" and select "Use Yandex" in the dropdown.

This is not a normal workflow right? Source text is what you get by default. Clicking "source text" again is not a tested scenario here. Need to test and fix that.

Observed: The dropdown still says "Use source text". Expected: "Use Yandex".

I could not observe this. When I chose Yandex from dropdown, what is selected is Yandex. I mean drop down selection works for me,

Observed: The text is still English. Expected: Swahili.

If the drop downs says "Use source text" The above observation matches with that

Select "Use Yandex" again.
Observed: The page scrolls down. It shouldn't.

I could reproduce this issue - the page scroll down to the heading of "References" and try to translate it

I tested the following workflow:

  1. Started a translation from en->swahili.
  2. Clicked on first section - Source text is filled as expected. I see MT card with green indicators
  3. I select Yandex from the dropdown. Page scrolls down to translate the heading of 'References' - translates to Swahili . Scrolling is issue. Need to fix.
  4. The paragraph that was filled with source text was not filled with MT - this is confusing. At the same time this also side effect of a fix to avoid overwriting the users translations from MT card. Need to fix.
  5. Second section onwards MT is applied with Yandex translation.
  1. Click "Use source text" and select "Use Yandex" in the dropdown.

This is not a normal workflow right? Source text is what you get by default. Clicking "source text" again is not a tested scenario here. Need to test and fix that.

I guess that we have a little misunderstanding here: What I mean by "Use source text" here is to click the dropdown. The initial label shown there is "Use source text".

Observed: The dropdown still says "Use source text". Expected: "Use Yandex".

I could not observe this. When I chose Yandex from dropdown, what is selected is Yandex. I mean drop down selection works for me,

Hmm, I can definitely reproduce it. I did in Firefox and in Chrome, and it happened to me in Swahili and in Basque.

Observed: The text is still English. Expected: Swahili.

If the drop downs says "Use source text" The above observation matches with that

Well yes, but if the previous point happens—and to me it does—then it does go together.

Select "Use Yandex" again.
Observed: The page scrolls down. It shouldn't.

I could reproduce this issue - the page scroll down to the heading of "References" and try to translate it

Ack.

I tested the following workflow:

  1. Started a translation from en->swahili.
  2. Clicked on first section - Source text is filled as expected. I see MT card with green indicators
  3. I select Yandex from the dropdown. Page scrolls down to translate the heading of 'References' - translates to Swahili . Scrolling is issue. Need to fix.

So to me this only happens after the second time I click "Use Yandex".

  1. The paragraph that was filled with source text was not filled with MT - this is confusing. At the same time this also side effect of a fix to avoid overwriting the users translations from MT card. Need to fix.

Yes.

  1. Second section onwards MT is applied with Yandex translation.

Yes.

I guess T130594: Simplify the "Automatic translation" card supercede this bug and instead of working on this , we need to fix T130594 and test.

cc: @Pginer-WMF

Amire80 moved this task from Needs Triage to CX8 on the ContentTranslation board.Mar 23 2016, 6:31 AM
Amire80 moved this task from CX8 to Bugs on the ContentTranslation board.Apr 20 2016, 1:14 PM

Change 294702 had a related patch set uploaded (by Santhosh):
Simplified MT card with new design

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/294702

santhosh claimed this task.Jun 23 2016, 7:20 AM
santhosh moved this task from Backlog to In Review on the Language-Q4-2016-Sprint 5 board.

Change 294702 merged by jenkins-bot:
Simplified MT card with new design

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/294702

Arrbee moved this task from QA to Done on the Language-Q1-2016-17 Sprint 3 board.Aug 11 2016, 8:04 AM