During GSoC, an RSS feature was built as an extension of the IFTTT web app for Wikipedia where users can access information and get updates from the Wikipedia channel without passing through IFTTT. This was done by the means of a simple web interface and HTTP GET request to the flask app through http://tools.wmflabs.org/ifttt-testing/ifttt/v1/rss-feeds. The links on the address bar are to be used as subscription links to various feed readers.
So this task is to develop a user manual to aid users of this RSS technology on how to use the RSS web interface together with their feed readers to get updates from the Wikipedia channel.
Version 1.0 of the manual can be located on Wikimedia Commons, feel free to download and read, try it out and give feedback here. :)
- Issues with app UI on Toolforge - Check why this behavior and fix UI : Because Toolforge was blocking external content which messed up the UI, but the app now runs on a new UI which is built on Bootstrap 4 and uses content from Toolforge. This also fixes T172609.
Plan of action
- Decide on a link to use for the docs - whether MW.org or WD.org -> MediaWiki has been chosen.
- Transfer docs from PDF to Wiki (including the pictures/snapshots) - Note that the new UI should be used in the snapshots, here is the link: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Wikipedia_RSS_Feed_User_Manual - (Interested persons can now follow here for updates and changes on how the doc is advancing).
- Publish the wiki link and Tool Forge link on mailing lists for community members to use the RSS portion of the app and give feedback.
- Hashtag trigger RSS has issues as the database (s52490__hashtags_p) has been moved. Will fix this ASAP.
- Make new UI mobile friendly (to improve on the UI/UX).