I'd like to bring to discussion the 'botadmin' group both at mlwikisource and mlwiktionary. In both wikis the flag shares the exact same permissions as the 'sysop' group with the only difference that it can be added and removed by bureaucrats. This brings me some concerns as to the configuration of the flag and if it should continue to exist. The same happens to mlwiki by the way.
- If a bot really needs to have the full sysop package it can be added to the sysop group instead.
- No need to duplicate group permissions like this, clogging the configuration files. In fact I doubt that they need the exact same permissions as regular sysops need to have.
- Breaks our doctrine to only allow bureaucrats on very big and with very large consensus to be able to remove sysop flags locally. None of such wikis have bureaucrats able to desysop locally.
In addition to that, the flag has never been of active user or has never been used at all.
Comparison on botadmin at other wikis
The permission exist at other projects which more or less do share the same permissions to do basic sysop stuff such as page deletion. Examples are:
- mlwiktionary: last used on 2012, and no current members.
- mlwikisource: never granted and no current members.
The current situation at those wikis doesn't really make sense at all. Either the botadmin group should have their permissions drastically reviewed and cut down to those really needed by an hypothetical bot doing sysop work, or they can both disappear as this is granting and removing sysops by the back door for no apparent need as the statistics show.