Page MenuHomePhabricator

Refreshing mobile-sections does not purge mobile-sections-lead
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

At the moment, editing a Wikidata description triggers re-rendering of the summary and mobile-sections endpoints. This is correct, however the mobile-sections-lead endpoint returns the old WD data, and is hence not being purged.

Event Timeline

Dbrant created this task.Dec 8 2016, 4:33 PM
Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptDec 8 2016, 4:33 PM

mobile-sections refreshes all three mobile-sections* endpoints. Are you seeing somewhere that that is not the case ?

Dbrant added a comment.Dec 8 2016, 4:40 PM

I've added a Wikidata description to the article [[Illinois-class battleship]] about an hour ago, but the description still does not appear here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/page/mobile-sections-lead/Illinois-class_battleship

whereas it does appear here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/page/mobile-sections/Illinois-class_battleship

mobrovac closed this task as Resolved.Dec 8 2016, 4:54 PM
mobrovac claimed this task.
mobrovac added a project: User-mobrovac.

This was a Varnish cache purge failure. I manually purged the title in question and now all is good.

Dbrant added a comment.Dec 8 2016, 5:00 PM

I'm not sure this is resolved. I just made a minor edit to the same description, and it appears correctly in mobile-sections, but not updated in mobile-sections-lead

(changed "battleship" to "battleships")

Dbrant reopened this task as Open.Dec 8 2016, 5:16 PM

Reopening, since it's still happening, but feel free to change the description to more accurately reflect the cause.

mobrovac edited projects, added Services (doing); removed Services.Dec 8 2016, 5:17 PM

Indeed. Querying from the outside does not show the new version, but from inside prod it does.

mobrovac renamed this task from Edits to Wikidata descriptions should re-render mobile-sections-lead to Refreshing mobile-sections does not purge mobile-sections-lead.Dec 8 2016, 5:19 PM
mobrovac edited projects, added Traffic, RESTBase, RESTBase-API; removed ChangeProp.
mobrovac updated the task description. (Show Details)
Restricted Application added a project: Operations. · View Herald TranscriptDec 8 2016, 5:19 PM

Ok, this should be resolved now. There was an issue with the EventBus HTTP Proxy service rejecting certain RESTBase-emitted events (incidentally comprising mobile-sections purges). I have tried editing the description of the same item a couple of times and it seems to be working now. @Dbrant please confirm it works for you as well and if so, resolve the ticket. Thanks for reporting!

Dbrant closed this task as Resolved.Dec 8 2016, 7:42 PM

Looks resolved now; thanks!

@Mholloway I see 'toy manufacturer' description in both links and on wikidata item

Must have just synced. The mobile-sections-lead version was lagging with "company" (the old description) for a few minutes.

@Mdholloway Hm. So we have 2 queues in Change-Prop - one for main events and one for events derived from transcludes. The first one lags only about 50ms, the second one can lag significantly more. The wikidataEdit->mobileRerender rule is using the transclusions queue. Since you now have this feature with wikidata item editing and it's pretty important to have timely updates, I will move it to the primary queue.

@Pchelolo Sounds great, thank you!

Mentioned in SAL (#wikimedia-operations) [2016-12-08T22:16:48Z] <mobrovac@tin> Starting deploy [changeprop/deploy@ab552cd]: Deploying fix for T152690

Mentioned in SAL (#wikimedia-operations) [2016-12-08T22:17:36Z] <mobrovac@tin> Finished deploy [changeprop/deploy@ab552cd]: Deploying fix for T152690 (duration: 00m 49s)

OK, this should be now fixed once and for all :) Please @Mholloway and @Dbrant recheck and resolve the issue if it looks alright.

ema moved this task from Triage to Watching on the Traffic board.Dec 12 2016, 9:39 AM
Pchelolo closed this task as Resolved.Dec 13 2016, 9:46 PM

We didn't hear about this problem for a while, let's assume separating it to a new topic did the trick. Resolving. Please reopen if it happens again.