00:47, 5 March 2017 Sjoerddebruin (talk | contribs) blocked Emijrpbot (talk | contribs) with an expiration time of indefinite (account creation disabled, autoblock disabled) (Please respect the bot policy, too high editing rate)
It was going 600+ epm.
Job queue appears to be dropping now...
I think it might be worth attempting to determine the factors that lead to the rapid raise.
- The edit rate didn't seem that high and we could easily have several bots that resulted in the same rate.
- The number of sitelinks on these items might have increased the impact on the job queue. Merely creating new items without any sitelinks probably has a lower impact.
@Emijrp For how long did it run at that rate?
@Esc3300 About 3 days (72 hours), at a roughly edit rate of 600 epm, I did 2.5 million edits, more or less. Just a note, my bot edits add descriptions in dozens of languages. I don't know if that makes jobs difficult.
Many seem to be descriptions for category items (Something that might not be of much use to Wikipedia).
On a few items I checked, some languages use only the sitelink (en, fr), others all entity data (sv, es). Maybe this is linked to descriptions from Wikidata being used there.
The edit rate may have been the issue, but we should still utilize the tools we have (maxlag) to notify bots that the server is under high load. If we throw a check in maxlag value calculation checking for the number of JobQueue entries and then raising the maxlag to indicate it, it would prevent bots from causing this issue again. Regardless of whether its one bot or several causing the spike, the existing maxlag checks could be used to notify all bots to back off.