In nova-network, designate-sink provides the following services:
- on VM creation
- Forward and reverse dns records for hostname.eqiad.wmflabs
- Forward and reverse dns records for hostname.projectname.eqiad.wmflabs
- on VM deletion
- Removal of above DNS records
- Purging of instance puppet config
- Cleanup of puppet certificates
- Delete dynamic proxies that might point to this VM
Currently none of those work with Neutron.
In theory, designate-sink could handle all of the above in just the same way as now. The hang-ups there are 1) sink listens for notifications on rabbitmq, and the designate region (eqiad1) uses a different rabbitmq, and 2) sink is a bit broken in concept since there's no guarantee that the needed notifications will be delivered.
Neutron includes a slightly better, integrated driver that can call out to designate when a port is created or destroyed. That avoids the potential issues with sink notification and could live side-by-side with the existing nova-network/sink setup. The only problem with /that/ is that the designate integration appears to be broken in Neutron/Mitaka.