Page MenuHomePhabricator

<references responsive /> does not work anymore
Closed, ResolvedPublic5 Estimate Story Points

Description

Since today responsive references have stopped working. Only one column is shown on wide screens at the Czech Wikipedia at least.

Details

Related Gerrit Patches:
mediawiki/extensions/Cite : wmf/1.35.0-wmf.11Fix handling of `<references responsive="" />`
mediawiki/extensions/Cite : masterFix handling of `<references responsive="" />`
mediawiki/extensions/Cite : masterAdd missing parser tests for relevant responsive edge cases

Event Timeline

Dvorapa created this task.Dec 21 2019, 5:29 PM
Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptDec 21 2019, 5:29 PM

But <references responsive=1 /> shows multiple columns, at least on dewiki.

This comment was removed by Dvorapa.
Dvorapa added a comment.EditedDec 26 2019, 9:50 AM

You are right, responsive=1 works, but responsive="" or responsive does not. But responsive="" is added by VisualEditor, when I check they should be responsive. This is weird.

FriedhelmW updated the task description. (Show Details)Dec 26 2019, 10:35 AM

It seems that it depends on the article. Here is a short list of articles of the dewiki, where it works:

All articles use <references responsive />

It seems that it depends on your browser cache.

Nope. Cache cleared and page reloaded without cache access. Same result. Both in Firefox and Internet Explorer.

Change 560850 had a related patch set uploaded (by Bartosz Dziewoński; owner: Bartosz Dziewoński):
[mediawiki/extensions/Cite@master] Fix handling of <references responsive="" />

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/560850

matmarex claimed this task.Dec 27 2019, 6:26 PM
matmarex edited projects, added VisualEditor (Current work); removed VisualEditor.

Change 560927 had a related patch set uploaded (by Thiemo Kreuz (WMDE); owner: Thiemo Kreuz (WMDE)):
[mediawiki/extensions/Cite@master] Add missing parser tests for relevant responsive edge cases

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/560927

Change 560850 merged by jenkins-bot:
[mediawiki/extensions/Cite@master] Fix handling of <references responsive="" />

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/560850

Not meant as a defense or anything, really just for documentation:

I confirmed that https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/560850 restores the old behavior. Unfortunately I haven't been able to create a backport. Can somebody help with this?

What is not so nice in this regard is that if you manually put responsive="1" to be on the safe side then at least on de Wikipedia a bot TaxonBot comes and changes this back with reference to T101841. I now wonder what is the "correct" way of specifying this attribute if <references responsive /> was an edge case.

<references responsive /> was and is correct. When I said "edge case" I meant <references responsive="" />, which is weird and should not be used. Anyway, both will be restored and will work as before.

Change 560927 merged by jenkins-bot:
[mediawiki/extensions/Cite@master] Add missing parser tests for relevant responsive edge cases

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/560927

Change 561169 had a related patch set uploaded (by Bartosz Dziewoński; owner: Bartosz Dziewoński):
[mediawiki/extensions/Cite@wmf/1.35.0-wmf.11] Fix handling of <references responsive="" />

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/561169

WMDE-Fisch set the point value for this task to 5.Jan 7 2020, 1:06 PM
Izno moved this task from Unsorted backlog to Defect backlog on the Cite board.Jan 7 2020, 10:55 PM

Change 561169 merged by jenkins-bot:
[mediawiki/extensions/Cite@wmf/1.35.0-wmf.11] Fix handling of <references responsive="" />

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/561169

Mentioned in SAL (#wikimedia-operations) [2020-01-08T12:30:27Z] <lucaswerkmeister-wmde@deploy1001> Synchronized php-1.35.0-wmf.11/extensions/Cite: SWAT: [[gerrit:561169|Fix handling of <references responsive="" /> (T241303)]] (duration: 01m 06s)

WMDE-Fisch closed this task as Resolved.Jan 8 2020, 12:35 PM
WMDE-Fisch moved this task from Demo to Done on the WMDE-QWERTY-Sprint-2019-12-11 board.
WMDE-Fisch added a subscriber: WMDE-Fisch.

Deployed and back-ported, should be fine now.