As a Community Tech team member, I want to know to know the various options/considerations for Named References in VE, so that the team can begin planning the work.
- Proposal from 2019 Wishlist
- Proposal from the 2017 Wishlist
- T52568: Be able to name references manually in the reference dialog
- T92432: Come up with a better way to auto-label references
- Review the previous wishes from 2019 and 2017 wishlists, as well as relevant Phabricator tasks (see links above)
- Reach out to Editing team to discuss any potential issues or concerns (note: this is important to do, as there have been some recent changes to citations & VE, from my understanding)
- Provide an analysis of potential risks associated with this project from a technical perspective
- Provide an analysis of potential dependencies associated with this project from a technical perspective
- Provide a recommendation for implementation of this change
- Provide a rough estimate/sense of difficulty or effort required by this project
- Investigate the potential of solving this by adding a definition to citation templates in TemplateData that dictates the structure of naming different references based on the type of reference they are (book/journal/etc). This can be done similarly to the way TemplateData maps references to citation templates ('cite book' / 'cite journal' etc) and solve the general concern without having to overcomplicate the VE interface.