Page MenuHomePhabricator

When switching from source mode to visual mode all content is gone for new articles
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

I'm starting to create a new article in source mode using the visual editor and before publishing switching to visual mode all my content is gone. I end up with an empty page. Switching back to visual mode doesn't help. All may content stays gone. Happened several times, but last noticed while creating Teun Stokkel on nlwiki. When I start in visual mode, then switch to source mode, all content is still available. When I then switch back to visual mode, again all content is gone.

Event Timeline

Mbch331 created this task.May 24 2020, 8:08 AM
Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptMay 24 2020, 8:08 AM
Mbch331 updated the task description. (Show Details)May 24 2020, 8:12 AM

This appears to have been broken for a long time, at least as far back as 8ae492567674b3bd9a12c772d454cf1fd0a82b1d.

Actually, I can't reproduce this on Wikipedia, only on wikis using non-RESTBase mode.

Mbch331 added a comment.EditedJun 13 2020, 9:24 AM

I can reproduce this on the Dutch Wikipedia. I disabled all gadgets, all custom js in my common.js and global.js and still can reproduce it.
With source code mode I mean the New Wikitext Mode

I can't reproduce on nl.wiki with either source mode.

matmarex added a comment.EditedJun 17 2020, 6:53 PM

I am guessing you must be one of the people who are affected by T233320, and that's why VE is using non-RESTBase mode for you (which apparently has a bug in this particular case).

This is actually kind of exciting because we haven't talked to anyone who was having that problem before, we only saw it in error logs, and we still don't know what exactly causes it.

@Mbch331 Are you using any privacy/security/antivirus/content-filtering software or proxy, and can you see if the issue still occurs if you disable it?

Change 608418 had a related patch set uploaded (by Bartosz Dziewoński; owner: Bartosz Dziewoński):
[mediawiki/extensions/VisualEditor@master] Fix switching to visual with changes in non-RESTBase mode

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawiki/extensions/VisualEditor/ /608418

Change 608418 merged by jenkins-bot:
[mediawiki/extensions/VisualEditor@master] Fix switching to visual with changes in non-RESTBase mode

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawiki/extensions/VisualEditor/ /608418

@Mbch331 We'd love to hear back from you on whether this resolves the issue (and also on the previous question), the fix is already deployed on all Wikimedia wikis.

@matmarex It is fixed. I created an article on Dutch Wikipedia with switching from Wikitext to visual.

Tested it as well on my laptop (tested it this morning on my work PC) and there it works as well. So disabling antivirus etc. won't have any effect

ppelberg closed this task as Resolved.Jul 17 2020, 2:04 AM
ppelberg claimed this task.
Restricted Application added a project: User-Ryasmeen. · View Herald TranscriptJul 17 2020, 2:04 AM