Page MenuHomePhabricator

Edit conflict appearing when there is none: self-conflict in section edit not suppressed
Open, MediumPublic


Author: lord.god.jinnai

This doesn't occur every time, but when updating an existing section of a page sometimes an edit conflict will be reported when the only change that appears will be the change I made. There is no specific timeframe and it can even happen after edits I myself have made.

This does not happen when creating new sections in talk pages, nor is it easily reproducible as it appears to be random, but it has happened on numerous occasions.

Version: unspecified
Severity: normal
See Also:
T36423: Edit conflicts with yourself are not detected when doing no section edit - inconsistent behavior



Event Timeline

bzimport raised the priority of this task from to Medium.Nov 21 2014, 11:16 PM
bzimport set Reference to bz26821.
bzimport added a subscriber: Unknown Object (MLST).

Please add more information if you find a good way to reproduce this. Lowering priority for now.

lord.god.jinnai wrote:

Screenshot for what I'm talking about. As shown it the only new text is what I typed into it. It seems to happen usually on these larger talk pages.

Created attachment 8186


320cf70dc7.gif (900×1 px, 65 KB)

Jinnai: Do you still see this problem recently? If so, any public page that this can be reproduced with?

I found the diff in question, see URL. Assuming that it didn't take 2 hours to write the message and that section edit worked, it was a self-conflict, differing only in the timestamp: per bug 28720, it should have been suppressed, but it wasn't.

  • Bug 17368 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
  • Bug 29990 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

I disagree with new priority/severity: edit conflict handling is an important part of editing, and if suppression of self-conflicts fails users get very confused and a lot of time is wasted, plus there is no workaround and it's definitely something we worry about (see Brion's comment on bug 28720): matches normal/normal or normal/major definitions.

This is also an issue which I frequently experience.. Recently, it seems to happen with most edits that I make.