New language switch has been enabled to anonymous user on July 20 on all pilot wikis. T286459.
We'd like to measure the impact of new language switch on-by-default on anonymous user's language switch behavior.
frwiktionary, hewiki, ptwikiversity, frwiki, euwiki, ptwiki, kowiki, trwiki, srwiki, bnwiki, dewikivoyage, vecwiki, fawiki
After explored the data, we found the feature was deployed on June 22, 2021 in all wikis except fawiki. On fawiki, it was deployed on June 28, 2021.
- Deployment date: 2021-07-20
wikis: frwiktionary, hewiki, ptwikiversity, frwiki, euwiki, ptwiki, kowiki, trwiki, srwiki, bnwiki, dewikivoyage, vecwiki
- Deployment date: 2021-06-22
- Catch-up period : 2021-06-22 ~ 2021-07-05 Due to caching, not all users were seeing the new version. The cached articles were displaying the old version of the language switcher. The cache tends to clear completely within 1~2 weeks, which is why we exclude these 15 days in analysis
- Post-deployment: 2021-07-06 ~
- Deployment date: 2021-06-28
- Catch-up period : 2021-06-28 ~ 2021-07-11
- Post-deployment: 2021-07-12 ~
- language link clicks
There was an average 61.1% decrease in total clicks on language links by logged-out users on the early adopter wikis following deployment of the new language feature. We saw a similar drop on logged-in users in the AB test. The decrease is contradicted with our hypothesis. It might be due to the lags in new feature adoption. Further investigation may be needed to identify possible reasons for this decrease.
- input language link clicks
There was an average 69.9% increase in daily average clicks on input language links by logged-out users on the early adopter wikis following deployment of the new language feature. The average is driven upwards mainly by Bengali Wikipedia (460.53%) and French Wiktionary (240.79%) and Hebrew Wikipedia (129.24%). They are wikis with low daily activities. If we exclude wikis which have less than 1 in daily average clicks, the average change is -3.038%.