The page tools feature will move elements in the existing sidebar/main menu into what is currently the more menu.
The more menu will evolve to become the page tools feature which will be displayable as a dropdown or pinnable to the right hand side of the page.
This could potentially impact gadgets.
Things to think about
- Most gadgets should be using mw.util.addPortletLink at this time to add menu items. Presumably these should continue to work, but are there any situations where we are changing the associated menu ID
- Some gadgets create entire menus e.g. Twinkle where there is no standardized API. How could these be implicated by pinnable functionality?
Questions to answer
- How might gadgets be broken?
- How might new gadgets use the new functionality (think outside the box on this one! the more crazy the better)
- How does pinning functionality interact with gadgets / how could it interact?
- Does the hook approach serve all our potential needs for modifying Vector-specific menu items. Could this be re-thought (T291700)
- How should gadgets add entire new menus going forward in a sustainable way (T303859) ?