Currently we have a missed opportunity around MediaWiki developer and Wikimedia tech news. This epic task tries to fix this problem. Let's keep the generic discussion here and let's create subtasks for specific goals.
- Publishing news in mediawiki.org is a pain. We don't even have a proper place (or extension?) for that. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/News
- Publishing news in https://blog.wikimedia.org/c/technology/ (Wordpress) could be simpler from a tooling point of view, but we don't have a light and open process though proposing drafts is possible.
- We have a fragmentation of channels: mediawiki.org, Wikimedia tech blog, multiple social media accounts in multiple services. Even after writing a news piece, distributing it through all these channels is not trivial.
- The editorial work through all these different channels is quite centralized, with the responsibility of distribution falling in the hands of a few very busy people. Casual contributors are basically left out.
- We are not even using or monitoring the MediaWiki social media accounts socially (resharing, replying, following...)
- The list https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Social_media duplicates the official lists on Meta-Wiki, which the social media folks are most likely to check.
- Publishing should be easy for anybody with something interesting to say. This is currently possible in the Wikimedia Planet.
- Wikimedia tech blog, mediawiki.org, and social media should be automatically in sync.
- RSS extension can easily publish a single blog/feed on a wiki page, already used on http://wikimediafoundation.org/
- It's equally trivial to push a feed to Twitter, Facebook and probably others.
- The MediaWiki social media accounts should be properly maintained by people knowing and enjoying the social media game (resharing, replying, following...)