Intention and Principles
- Metrics (charts) show clear trends over time (instead of an absolute snapshot number without context to compare with). It should be immediately clear and shared understanding if it's good or bad when a chart goes up or down.
- People are more important than objects. Activity related to code (engineering community) is more important than other activity.
Proposed / discussed metrics
- ☒ = not existing in korma
- ☐ = in progress / exists outside korma / in korma but broken / etc
- ☑ = exists in korma
- ★ = KPIs to be promoted to WMF management
Code review and changes (Gerrit/Git)
|★ Active Gerrit users per month||☑ "Code Review users"; T86152|
|Active changeset authors per month||☑ T97717: Active changeset *authors* and changeset *reviewers* per month; subgroup of above|
|Active changeset reviewers (setting ∓1/∓2, not comments-only) per month||☑ T97717: Active changeset *authors* and changeset *reviewers* per month; subgroup of above|
|★ Changesets submitted per month||☑ "Submitted" (though not sure if Patches or Changesets)|
|Changesets reviewed (∓1/∓2, not comments-only) per month||☑ T97716: Gerrit changes reviewed per month (on scr.html); only "Merged" and "Abandoned" on korma's scr.html ?|
|Changesets waiting for review per month||☑ "Pending" (though not sure if Patches or Changesets)|
|★ Median age of open changesets||☑ "Age of open changesets (monthly snapshots)"; T97715|
|Users that have exercised ∓2 in Gerrit on a given month||☑ "+2/-2 Votes"; T59038|
(A patch contains of 1-∞ changesets)
Task management (Phabricator)
Anything as part of korma requires a T96238: Maniphest backend for Metrics Grimoire first. T96238 was finished in late June 2015 and in Q3 we will finetune Phabricator metrics to integrate and display in korma. For Q2, Git/Gerrit metrics are higher priority as we get our Phabricator KPIs already (via SQL) in the monthly email to wikitech-l at the beginning of every month.
|Accounts per month that have performed at least one action||☐ Currently exists only in monthly Phab stats email on wikitech-l but not as graph in korma|
|Tasks created per month||☐ Currently exists only in monthly Phab stats email on wikitech-l but not as graph in korma|
|New accounts created per month||☐ Currently exists only in monthly Phab stats email on wikitech-l but not as graph in korma|
Broader level (not "basic" metrics): T28
|Users per month who have sent at least one message||☑ on http://korma.wmflabs.org/browser/irc.html (cf. T96371, T56230)|
|Users per month who have sent at least one message||☑ on http://korma.wmflabs.org/browser/mls.html|
To be defined (see discussion in this task)
Potential followup ideas, not covered in this task
- Followup after T94578 is finished: T100978: Present most basic community metrics from T94578 on one page
- Could e.g. have better differentiation between volunteers vs staff - see e.g. T100189: "Median time to review for Gerrit Changesets, per month": External vs. WMF/WMDE/etc patch authors.