More event information and updates here: https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hackathon
23 hackathon projects showcased on Wikimania’s first official day.
About 50% of the attendance in the showcase had not participated in the hackathon.
All participants requesting a buddy got one, making a total of 22 buddy pairs.
- Volunteer @siebrand was a very helpful co-organizer supporting @Rfarrand.
- A smaller Hackathon space was available during all Wikimania, hosting small meetings and work.
- Survey: 87% of participants had a positive/very positive experience, 0% negative/very negative.
- Lessons learned
Measurement of success
- Hackathon Showcase features at least 8 demos produced at the event in front of a mixed audience of developers and editors.
Done! 23 projects were showcased at the hackthon showcase. About 50% of the audience had not attended that hackathon. https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/T102034
- All newcomers and editors joining the hackathon get a tech savvy buddy.
All newcomers *who wanted a buddy* were paired up with a buddy in advance of the hackathon. We had 22 buddy pairs (44 people participating or almost 1/4 of the event) This worked out well for some people, although I am not sure the buddy system works as well at the Wikimania Hackathon as it does at the Wikimedia hackathon. We should reexamine this before deciding to use the buddy system again next year.
- Wikimania organization team
- Wikimedia Mexico
- hackathon projects leads
Relation with WMF Call to Action
- EXPERIMENT: support innovation & new knowledge
- T98359: Create spaces for future community-led innovations and new knowledge creation