Page MenuHomePhabricator

Edit button not displayed on wikidata
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

When I want to edit statments or identifiers on any wikidata item this does no longer work as there isno edit button available since today (11 november 2016) everything worked well yesterday. I verified with Firefox 49.0.2

When i verified with Google Chrome Version 54.0.2840.99 m everything worked perfectly well.

I've verified this issue on the following items

Installed software
Product Version
MediaWiki 1.29.0-wmf.2 (rMWdd68a1bc4d81)
21:45, 8 November 2016
HHVM 3.12.7 (srv)
MariaDB 10.0.23-MariaDB-log
ICU 52.1
Elasticsearch 2.3.5
LuaSandbox 2.0.12
Lua 5.1.5

Event Timeline

Robby created this task.Nov 10 2016, 5:51 AM
Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptNov 10 2016, 5:51 AM
Robby added a comment.Nov 10 2016, 5:53 AM

ups I mistaked in the date I noticed it today 10 november 2016 and everything worked well yesterday evening 9 november 2016.

Robby triaged this task as Lowest priority.Nov 10 2016, 6:04 AM

By now (some minutes later) everything is back to normal. So most probably it was just due to some issues on the wikidata servers.

Robby added a comment.Nov 10 2016, 6:29 AM

I notice the same issue again.

Robby raised the priority of this task from Lowest to Medium.Nov 10 2016, 6:43 AM

I can confirm this. I don't see the edit buttons either.
I see one error in my Javascript console: mw.popups.removeTooltips is not a function

I see the gadget PopupsFix is broken. When I deactivate that gadget I get the edit buttons.

Mate added a subscriber: Mate.Nov 10 2016, 9:30 AM
Lydia_Pintscher raised the priority of this task from Medium to High.Nov 10 2016, 10:11 AM

The relevant code change happened in https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/316978. The function removeTooltips used by the gadget does not exist any more, instead there is a removeTooltip (without "s").

Wikidata admins, please try what happens if you do nothing but removing the "s". I believe this may already work just fine.

Pinging @jhobs and @Jdlrobson since they did the change.

The tip @thiemowmde gave about removing the s did the trick. I removed it in https://www.wikidata.org/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Gadget-PopupsFix.js&diff=prev&oldid=405295392 and can still edit Wikidata.

thiemowmde closed this task as Resolved.Nov 10 2016, 5:32 PM
thiemowmde assigned this task to Mbch331.
thiemowmde moved this task from consider for next sprint to in progress on the Wikidata board.
thiemowmde moved this task from Proposed to Done on the Wikidata-Sprint-2016-11-08 board.
Robby added a comment.Nov 10 2016, 6:01 PM

many thanks to all those who helped solving this issue!

FYI, it's on our (the Reading Web Team's) radar to build Wikidata support directly into the extension. It may take a while as we're currently refactoring the extension, but just wanted to let you all know that this incident didn't go unnoticed. :)

FYI, it's on our (the Reading Web Team's) radar to build Wikidata support directly into the extension. It may take a while as we're currently refactoring the extension, but just wanted to let you all know that this incident didn't go unnoticed. :)

Great to hear!

Robby reopened this task as Open.Nov 28 2016, 10:06 PM

The same issue reappeared today!

I've tried to deactivate the gadget' PopupsFix' but his did not influence the issue.

I now noticed that everything seems working correctly with Firefox 50.0 while i noticed the issue with Firefox 52.0 a2 (Aurora) I hope more testing will help clarifying the issue.

Robby closed this task as Resolved.Nov 29 2016, 5:54 PM

After making some more tests today everything is back to normal as well with firefox 52 : 52.0a2 (2016-11-28) (32-bit)