This task is on the planning agenda of the Collaboration-Team-Triage Before claiming, check the status of this task w/ one of the team members here.
Proposed in Community-Wishlist-Survey-2016. Received 38 support votes, and ranked #35 out of 265 proposals. View full proposal with discussion and votes here.
(essential cross-Wiki application, core software extension). en.Wiki receives around 850 or more new pages every 24 hours directly published in mainspace. Currently there is a backlog of around 14,000 unreviewed new pages of which up to half are not suitable for publication. Page Curation is is the only firewall against undesirable new pages. These days, most of these are cleverly contrived corporate spam (by rings of multiple accounts -w:Orangemoody) or non notable autobiographies, while some are in fact from good faith first-time creators who need a simple nudge on the right track to avoid their work being deleted.
Who would benefit
- The encyclopedia from being better policed and kept free of spam, hoaxes, and attack pages.
- Good faith new users who have created pages that are not ready for immediate publication.
- The improvements listed below would attract more users of the right calibre to the task of reviewing new pages and using the New Pages Feed and the Curation Toolbar.
Develop and implement the following requested short list of improvements, many of which were intended, but 'forgotten' during initial development. We were recently asked by the WMF for a shortlist from the list of 20 or so requested updates. Thee details are not exhaustive but this update to the New Page Review tools should be addressed as one project/one request. Most of the template texts have already been written along with details of the required functions. WMF implementaion is required.
- Tool for moving pages to draft and notify creator (T124396: Allow moving to draftspace and tagging accordingly (keywords: draft, draftify, draftification))
- Notify creator whenever an article is patrolled but tagged for maintenance (T157051: Implement an icon for patrolled pages that have maintenance tags in the New Pages Feed)
- Tool for declining a CSD placed by another reviewer, and for notifying patroller of wrongly applied tags (T207435: Add "Decline CSD" option to Page Curation Toolbar)
Removing the 250 character limit for messages to creator(done in T157056: Remove the 250 character limit from messages sent through the Page Curation Tool)
- Add the accept and decline features of the AfC Helper Script templates so that submitted drafts can also be reviewed by either New Page reviewers or AfC reviewers from the New Pages Feed.
Add the CSD criteria that are listed in Twinkle but not in Page Curation (already listed at Phabricator but apparently closed as 'Resolved' because no one understood what was wanted. This is also one of the reasons why people won't use Page Curation.(this is apparently T150628: Update PageTriage speedy deletion tag list to match Twinkle's, if there is a misunderstanding, comment there)
New Pages Feed
- Change the green 'patroll' blob to other icons for all pages that have been CSD?PROD/BLPPROD/AfD so that patrolling admins know what's going on. There should also be an indication of the type of deletion nomination (rather than a generic trash can).
- Auto refresh. The feed should auto refresh every 5 seconds like the other one does. This is the other main reason why so many patrollers won't move over to Page Curation. Anyone opening the New Pages Feed finds that up to 60% of all pages, especially the low hanging fruit, have already been tagged - sometimes incorrectly. (T207437: Add a Special:NewPagesFeed auto-refresh, similar to Watchlist's "Live Updates")
- Inform with an icon if a page has previously been deleted.
- Pages that have been tagged for maintenance issues (but not for deletion) and are otherwise just acceptable for inclusion, should be shown not with the green 'checked' icon, but with an orange blob that contains a capital T (for 'Tagged'). It should be obvious that this would enable admins who are patrolling the quality of the patrollers themselves rather than new pages, can immediately revert any tags that have been inappropriately or erroneously applied, and replace them with correct ones or use the 'unreview button' which should then send the 'unreviewed' message automatically to the patroler, using a dropdown list of canned reasons. (T157051: Implement an icon for patrolled pages that have maintenance tags in the New Pages Feed)
- Display in the Feed entry, in red alongside the 'no citations' alert, a 'Naked URL' alert. This should enable a patroler to send a canned message to to the creator on the lines of: Thank you for creating X. I notice you left naked URLs in the references section. Please consider returning to the article and addressing this and any other tagged issues. For more information about correctly formatting sources and external links, please see WP:CITE.
Time, expertise and skills required
- e.g. Hackathon, GSOC, Outreachy, etc.