The main page in mobile view has no language selection icon at the top. Instead the language button is at the bottom of the page. It's contextual more than inconsistent.
The treatment is different on the main page as the main page does not show a title or page actions bar.
Many main pages are designed very differently from other pages, for example Hindi Wikipedia:
Showing a page actions bar on the main page has a variety of problems, which vary depending on the wiki:
To take Hindi Wikipedia as an example:
- On Hindi Wikipedia, black icons on gray background (accessibility problems not easily fixed by making white background alongside gray)
- Edit icon that will always be locked (given most main pages are protected)
- Surplus unnecessary information - e.g. "Main page"
- Redundant features (it is useful to watch the main page given it is protected?)
- If language icon is the only feature, could push down more useful content
To quote @Nirzar
... main page design has a lot more problems than just language selection.
We can design a better experience for language selection and other relevant page actions for main page but they are likely to be deprioritized because we are a small team
I can design a better solution if anyone else is interested in building it