An investigation task for wish #9, SVG Translate
Notes on the project page: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/SVG_translation
Proposal page: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2017_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Multimedia_and_Commons/SVG-Translate
- Problem: You have a svg-file in a different language and want to use it, but you don't know how to edit SVG-Files (You can't handle SourceCode, Inkscape has to be installed,...).
- Who would benefit: User who adds Images to articles, but are not familiar with SVG-editing
- Proposed solution: The Tool https://tools.wmflabs.org/svgtranslate/ is able to do that, but the download/upload isn't working.
- More comments: A such tool was in wide usage up to 2009, but lost its maintainer and app authorization
Related Phabricator tasks: T56214
- What's the status of the existing SVG-Translate extension?
- How does the code look? What issues might we run into if we build off of that?
- If we build another extension from scratch, can we reuse any of the code?
- What's the status of the existing toolforge tool? Source code.
- The tool seems mostly broken - it works sporadically.
- It looks like it's been not been updated in a long time. Does it seem like we can salvage any of it?
- What are the pros and cons of using the toolforge tool versus the extension?
- What are rough estimations on time it might take to build either?
- Are there other options besides these two that we can look into?