Feature request: Please add optional chronological sorting of search results, ordered by (reverse?) time of page-creation.
|Open||None||T268018 Clean up messages for sorting orders|
|Resolved||Lea_WMDE||T197525 Let users sort results by time (older or newer results)|
|Open||None||T40403 Sortable search results|
|Resolved||EBernhardson||T195071 Add chronological sorting by-page-creation-timestamp for search results|
|Resolved||EBernhardson||T215198 Document search sort options available in API|
- Mentioned In
- T215198: Document search sort options available in API
T206042: Job cirrusSearchIncomingLinkCount failures "Read timeout is reached" from Title::getFirstRevision
T147505: [tracking] CirrusSearch: what is updated during re-indexing
- Mentioned Here
- T203622: Upgrade saneitizer to constantly re-index documents
T197525: Let users sort results by time (older or newer results)
T40403: Sortable search results
we need to do something to populate the index with the new creation date field, it can be done with a full reindex from mysql but we don't do those too regularly, they take about a week to process through all the wikis once started.
@Ainali I think that it already supported, as part of the prior patches to this ticket. Some documentation still needs to be written, but the sort can be provided in the search api. The current sorts reported available (via Special:ApiSandbox) are:
- relevance - the standard scoring algorithm
- just_match - Only runs the retrieval phase of search, skipping a few advanced re-scoring steps (boosting by popularity/incoming links, and reranking the top few thousands docs with a machine learning algorithm). Probably only useful for debugging.
- none - No sorting at all, order is whatever order it happens to be found in the index.
- incoming_links_asc - Sort pages with least number of incoming wikilinks first
- incoming_links_desc - Sort pages with largest number of incoming wikilinks first
- last_edit_asc - Sort pages least recently edited first
- last_edit_desc - Sort pages most recently edited first
This ticket is waiting/blocked on the last two sort orders:
- create_date_asc - Sort pages least recently created first
- create_date_desc Sort pages most recently created first
The sort is only exposed via api, We will need to convince someone more familiar with front end work to expose it for general usage. That might be a reasonable request for Advanced-Search. (Looks like T197525 ?)
create_date_asc and create_date_desc will be populated by T203622, which will eventually unblock this task. That will likely be deployed after the DC switchover and will then need 8-10 weeks to iterate over the full document set and reindex everything. That basically means everything should be populated by mid-december or so.