Wikimedia España and the Instituto Geográfico Nacional (IGN), the Spanish National Geographic Institute, want the most valuable content from the IGN to be widely shared under a CC-BY 4.0 license as one of the first contributions to Structured Data on Commons. The selected content includes:
- a series of raster topographic maps at a scale of 1:25, formats TIFF and ECW (~785 GB),
- a series of scanned maps (some topographic maps at a scale of 1:25, some of them at a scale of 1:50, and some maps for Spanish provinces and autonomous communities) from the first to the last edition (T203010), and
- a series of orthophotos, just the most recent versions, excluding historical mosaics (~1.22 TB).
Although the IGN offers us more material, the described files are the most valuable and usable ones for the Wikimedia projects, so none of them should be excluded. However, preparing and transferring them all is not a small feat. We should:
- transfer all the files from the servers of the IGN to any other server under the control of the Wikimedia movement (for example, Wikimedia Cloud Services),
- transform all the media files to the corresponding accepted formats for Wikimedia Commons,
- organize and format the available metadata for Structured Data on Commons, and
- upload the files.
As a first step, we would like some people in charge of Wikimedia Cloud Services to tell us what is the best way to proceed and if Wikimedia Cloud Services could be used for this purpose.