Welcome to the Season of RevisionSlider: A project to implement version 2.0 of the feature within a limited time frame, together with you :-)
The RevisionSlider is a MediaWiki extension, developed bei Wikimedia Deutschland’s Technical Wishes team. It adds a slider to the diff page that allows to easily navigate through revisions. The feature got developed in 2016/2017, and is a default feature on all wikis since May 2017. (Extension Manual: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:RevisionSlider)
About this project
We would like to invite 4-5 people to join us as a development team over the period of two months, starting August 2nd.
- working in a team for a limited period of time
- a project that is nice to work on, with a clear scope and different small tasks
- contributing to a MediaWiki extension that is deployed to all Wikimedia wikis
then this might be the perfect project for you!
The scope for RevisionSlider Version 2.0 contains:
- tasks to improve the general usability/accessibility of the feature
- a few new features
It's up to you how many tasks you can/want to do, & the concrete tasks will be introduced to at the kick-off meeting in August.
Timeline of the project
- Announcement: Friday, July 13
- Deadline for signing up as a team member: Thursday, July 26
- Kick-off meeting with the team: August 2, 2018, 15:00 via video call
- Release of version 2.0: End of September, 2018
What we can offer you/plan to do:
- Kick off meeting on August 2, 2018, 15:00 UTC: Introduction to the scope and tasks of the project, getting to know each other, discuss necessary preparations, e.g. setting up the local MediaWiki installation (if needed)
- Setting up a workboard on Phabricator
- Video syncs on a weekly basis
- Help in setting up the local MediaWiki installation together in case you don’t have it yet
- Help in setting up and using the local code style linters and QUnit tests
- Learn about pair programming and code review
- Review and merging patches will be covered by WMDE-TechWish
- Product management, design and communication support
- Stickers, t-shirts ...
- Getting to know nice folks you will have fun working together with :-)
If all of this sounds good to you, please subscribe to this ticket and let us know before July 26 :-)
Also, if you have any questions, please comment in the ticket, or find us on IRC: Best person to contact is @WMDE-Fisch (CFisch_WMDE on IRC, you can find him in many channels, and definitely in #wikimedia-tech).
See you soon!