- Affected components: MediaWiki core:
- WikiPage "Action" classes.
- Path Router.
- Engineer for initial implementation: TBD.
- Code steward: TBD.
This is the task for the RFC started originally started in 2011 on mediawiki.org:
We currently have two ways to create a user-interface that acts on a wiki page in some way.
- Page actions (through an Action subclass, connected with WikiPage).
- Special pages (through a SpecialPage subclass, connected with Skin::setRelevantTitle).
Historically, most such interfaces were page actions (edit, history, protect). More recently, they were often special pages (SpecialUndelete, SpecialMovepage, SpecialEdittags, SpecialRevisiondelete).
- This inconsistently should be resolved by settling on one system for page actions.
- Existing URLs should continue to work.
(Use this space for data gathering, status quo, proposals, other considerations etc.)
The action system has various configuration variables and hooks that need to be considered.
Proposal: Deprecate Action classes
To be figured out: