- Name of tool/project: Wikibase Termbox Front End
- Project home page:
- Not really applicable (per being part of Wikibase “project”).
- Server-side rendering service page on Wikitech: https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMDE/Wikidata/SSR_Service
- Name of team requesting review: Wikimedia Deutschland
- Primary contact: @WMDE-leszek
- Target date for deployment: 2019-05-20
- Link to code repository / patchset:
Description of the tool/project
Disclaimer: Description here focuses on the “termbox” as defined below, we like to stress though that “termbox” is the first part of Wikibase UI where the approach, hence the code, in question is to be applied.
The component we intend to deploy is responsible for the part of Wikibase UI, namely a part of Item and Property pages where their respective labels, descriptions and aliases are displayed, and can be edited.
The component provides both the code to be run on client side (in user’s browser), as well as a service to be run server side, generating parts of the page sent to the client.
Description of how the tool will be used at WMF
Server-side component (node service) is intended to be run on WMF service infrastructure. Service will be called from MediaWiki code. Service does not need to publicly exposed apart from being reachable from MediaWiki process.
Client-side component is going to be sent to client with other parts of Wikibase and MediaWiki UI via Resource Loader.
- Wikibase extension(s)
- Integration into the “upstream” Wikibase: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/plugins/gitiles/mediawiki/extensions/Wikibase/+/master/view/src/Termbox/Renderer/TermboxRemoteRenderer.php
- vue js library
- Home page of vue js library: https://vuejs.org/
Has this project been reviewed before?
- vue js library has gone through security review in late 2017: T168264
- To be noted here: Review has concerned the version 2.3 of the library, which is also the version currently used in Wikibase. We do intend to update the version used to 2.6 for the Termbox work, which is subject to review here.
- General Wikibase Front End Architecture review/request for comments pending approval from Wikimedia Technical Committee T213318. Request for comments last call ending 2019-02-20
Working test environment
- Only used for mobile view at this moment (both client JS code, and using server-side node service)
- Server-side rendering service used by beta wikidata currently runs on Wikimedia Cloud VPS instance: https://ssr-termbox.wmflabs.org/termbox?entity=Q11&language=de&editLink=/edit/Q11&preferredLanguages=de%7Cen
- Note: This is not meant to be production-like set up, it is just a test environment to develop with Beta Wikidata.
Wikimedia Deutschland. Primary contact: @WMDE-leszek
Related Phabricator tickets
T213318: RFC ticket for the general Wikibase Front End Architecture. Tool being subject to the request is the first step towards the presented architecture.
T212189: Request for the service running the server-side component of the discussed code. Request on hold until the RFC above gets accepted.