Page MenuHomePhabricator

After renaming a project in Phabricator, its /tag/projectname URL ends up as a 404
Open, HighPublic0 Story Points

Description

Yesterday, as can be seen in https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/manage/230/ , @Jdforrester-WMF renamed the project MediaWiki-extensions-MultimediaViewer to MediaViewer and as a side effect changed project hashtags by adding #mediawiki-extensions-multimediaviewer and removing #mediaviewer.

  • Now MediaViewer (that's a link here in the task description; I wrote its alternative hashtag #mediawiki-extensions-multimediaviewer, see "Edit task description") which links to https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/mediaviewer/ is a 404, and
  • writing MediaViewer (that is NOT a link here in the task description; I wrote its new primary hashtag #mediaviewer, see "Edit task description") does NOT create a link.

The project can still be reached via https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/manage/230/ but as this is not the first time this behavior strikes, I have not touched or tried to change anything yet.

Also CC'ing @epriestley as this baffles me and as I wonder how to best investigate this problem. Please feel very free to unsubscribe yourself!

Event Timeline

Aklapper triaged this task as High priority.May 30 2019, 11:49 AM
Aklapper created this task.
Restricted Application added a project: Upstream. · View Herald TranscriptMay 30 2019, 11:49 AM
Reedy renamed this task from After renaming a project in Phabricator, its /tag/projectname URL ends up as a 404 to After renaming a project in Phabricator, its /tag/projectname URL ends up as a 404.May 30 2019, 11:53 AM

For whatever reason, it seems that the project name needs to be repeated in the hashtag field. Perhaps the "additional hashtags" field would be more appropriately labeled as simply "hashtags"

I think this is likely an upstream problem. I think we try to add the "natural" hashtag on a rename, but maybe we're looking at the old "hashtags" field, seeing the "natural" hashtag is already there, and not realizing that it's being removed by the edit. Let me see if I can reproduce/understand this.

There may also be a secondary issue where everything works fine, except the "Save" button redirects you to the old object URI (from before your edit), which your edit may have changed. This is an issue in one interface in Diffusion today. The description above doesn't sound exactly like the same issue, but there might be something roughly similar going on.

Perhaps the "additional hashtags" field would be more appropriately labeled as simply "hashtags".

The intent, at least, is that the "natural" hashtag gets managed automatically and you don't need to list it explicitly, but it definitely sounds like that's not working correctly in this example.

Aklapper added a comment.EditedJul 23 2019, 9:10 AM

MediaViewer example works again. Changelog: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/manage/230/

Same problem now for GrowthExperiments (#growthexperiments). Changelog: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/manage/3716/
The alternative hashtag GrowthExperiments (#mediawiki-extensions-growthexperiments) seems to create a link at least.