"Category aliases" might be a general approach to solve problems like the current with gendered category names. There might already be some ideas or discussions out there around that.
- find related tasks or discussions around the technical aspects of category aliases
- think of ways how this could be implemented and utilized for gendered category names
- prototype a solution ( maybe as an extension )
- Where should category redirects not behave like a top level category and how could we do that?
- What side effects could be happening? Example: A redirect category is turned into a real category. What happens to all the pages inside?
- Could we use #alias or so to not surprise people with unexpected redirect behavior?
Proof of concept: