In Q2-Q4 FY2019-2020, Analytics Engineering will collaborate with Product Infrastructure to develop tooling to use Modern Event Platform components for instrumenting client side features. To do this, they will need a publicly POST-able EventGate endpoint.
The eventgate-analytics service is already handling internal 'analytics' events from Mediawiki server side: mediawiki/cirrussearch-request and mediawiki/api-request. These event streams are relatively high volume.
We will set up a new eventgate-analytics-external instance, exposed at intake-analytics.wikimedia.org, to serve events from external clients.
See also the Event Platform - Produce Usage design document.
- Name - eventgate-analytics-external, routed externally from intake-analytics.wikimedia.org
- Description - Validates and produces events to Kafka
- Timeline - Q3 2019-2020
- Point person - Andrew Otto
- Technologies - EventGate
Additionally, T236386: Set up eventgate-logging-external in production is also a separate publicly POST-able instance of EventGate.
Helm & k8s:
- helmfile and chart change
- k8s namespaces - @akosiaris
- Add eventgate-analytics-external TLS certs
- Deploy eventgate-analytics-external
LVS, Discovery, frontend routing:
- Discovery puppet config
- eventgate-analytics-external.svc DNS entries
- LVS puppet config
- LVS monitor_services check
- Discovery DNS entries
- intake.wikimedia.org DNS entry
- Frontend routing from intake-analytics.wikimedia.org -> eventgate-analytics-external.discovery.wmnet:4692