This task will track the decommission-hardware of server cobalt.wikimedia.org
With the launch of updates to the decom cookbook, the majority of these steps can be handled by the service owners directly. The DC Ops team only gets involved once the system has been fully removed from service and powered down by the decommission cookbook.
Steps for service owner:
- - all system services confirmed offline from production use
- - set all icinga checks to maint mode/disabled while reclaim/decommmission takes place.
- - remove system from all lvs/pybal active configuration
- - any service group puppet/hiera/dsh config removed
- - remove site.pp, replace with role(spare::system) recommended to ensure services offline but not 100% required as long as the decom script is IMMEDIATELY run below.
- - login to cumin host and run the decom cookbook: cookbook sre.hosts.decommission <host fqdn> -t <phab task>. This does: bootloader wipe, host power down, netbox update to decommissioning status, puppet node clean, puppet node deactivate, debmonitor removal.
- - remove all remaining puppet references (include role::spare) and all host entries in the puppet repo
- - remove ALL dns entries except the asset tag mgmt entries.
- - reassign task from service owner to DC ops team member depending on site of server: codfw = @Papaul, eqiad = @Jclark-ctr, all other sites = @RobH.
End service owner steps / Begin DC-Ops team steps:
- - disable switch port / set to asset tag if host isn't being unracked / remove from switch if being unracked.
- - set switch port description to asset tag
- - system disks wiped (by onsite)
- - hostname mgmt dns removed, leave asset tag mgmt dns entries
- - set netbox state to 'inventory' and hostname to asset tag