Request: The VectorPrefDiffInstrumention created in T261842 currently sends all events to a stream called mediawiki.pref_diff. We'd like to create a new stream that is more specifically named (such as, mediawiki.skin_switch) to send these events to instead.
Context: The current stream name mediawiki.pref_diff seems like a generic, catch-all stream for all preference change events; however, its purpose is only to log user-initiated skin changes from the VectorPrefDiff Instrument. It's possible that a different instrument could use the same stream and log changes to other unrelated user preferences such as email. This is problematic as other preferences should be logged in separate streams so separate retention policies can be applied. For example, we'd like to retain skin switch data past 90 days but may not want to retain other user-sensitive properties past 90 days. As a result, we recommend changing the stream name for these events to something more specific to avoid confusion.
- Create new stream entry in mediawiki config file. Proposed new name: mediawiki.skin_switch or mediawiki.skin_diff
- Change stream name in VectorPrefDiffInstrumentation
- Update the Desktop Improvements Opt-Out Chart in Superset Dashboard
- Add to the allowlist (Will be done in T287255)
- Per T289622#7354305, this doesn't require any changes to the schema. We should only change the STREAM_NAME constant in VectorPrefDiffInstrumentation as well as the stream name in mediawiki-config.
- Create spike that explores how instrumentation relates to proposed changes to skin version setting