Page MenuHomePhabricator

jquery.i18n does not work in Internet Explorer 8 and earlier versions
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

Screenshot of the bug

When you focus on a textarea, say #wpTextbox1 on action=edit (standard editing mode), the keyboard icon appears at the bottom left corner of the textarea. Clicking on the arrow and choosing "More settings" opens up a menu with broken interface messages (see the attached screenshot).

Although this is most likely a platform-independent bug, here are some details about my current platform:

OS: Windows XP Home
Screen resolution: 1024x600px
Login status: logged in to the wiki
Skin: Monobook
Interface language of the wiki: English (en)


Version: unspecified
Severity: major
OS: Windows XP
Platform: PC
Whiteboard: ux
URL: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:Sandbox?action=edit
See Also:
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=49028

Attached:

Details

Reference
bz45958

Event Timeline

bzimport raised the priority of this task from to High.Nov 22 2014, 1:34 AM
bzimport set Reference to bz45958.
ashley created this task.Mar 10 2013, 2:15 PM

Just checked on most recent iOS on iPad, with Safari, logged in, vector skin: WFM. Also tested with MonoBook skin: WFM.

Do you have information about your browser? Have you tried with other browsers on the same platform? (IE8, Chrome, Firefox)

How silly of me to forget the browser when I included all sorts of other, not-so-relevant information on the report...the browser I was using was Internet Explorer 8, the last supported version of IE for Windows XP (in other words, the new IE6).

Inspired by your comment, I tried testing on my mobile phone -- a Nokia N9 -- but sadly its built-in browser doesn't show the ULS icon even.
So I downloaded Firefox Portable version 19.0.2 to this computer, logged into MediaWiki.org as myself and went to Project:Sandbox once again. Everything seems to display the way it was intended -- and you can believe that I was surprised to see that those colored little boxes are actually _buttons_ that have _text_!

Thanks for adding the extra info. That clarifies things a lot.

I reported bug 48320 when I was about to look into this. I think it demonstrates that Windows XP and IE8 are really ancient.

Confirmed.

Expected behavior:
I. On platforms that are not jquery.i18n compatible, ULS features should not be enabled or accessible.
II. If this cannot be resolved, ULS features should be disabled for all IE versions before IE9, jquery.i18n didn't work on all Windows versions I tested (Xp/Vista/7).

Did some testing, jquery.i18n works with IE8, windows XP etc and confirmed with translatewiki.net.

The problem is not with jquery.i18n, but with IE8's Ajax with CORS implementation. mediawiki.org serves the localization files- xx.json from bits.wikimedia.org. IE8 and IE9 uses XDomainRequest object for this, but jquery refuses to support it natively as per http://bugs.jquery.com/ticket/8283

Related URL: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/64918 (Gerrit Change I8442a5efbd4ca7db0f0a407ff94772ea8e213b29)

  • Bug 48833 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

The fix makes an unreliable assumption about json paths in server.

extensionPath = mw.config.get( 'wgScriptPath' ) + '/extensions/UniversalLanguageSelector/';

This can go wrong in some environments. eg: en.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org

Lowering priority - according to comment 9 the fix works in production, but not in test instances. Also see bug 49028 about IE7.

Related URL: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/66909 (Gerrit Change I37638e06f21ab573c9ce37a4e9fb20bc763ac98f)