Block log entries often need to be associated with discussion or notices of the reason or the block. While links to such can be put into the description field, the result is often messy and inconsistent, as linking to a specific revision of a page is only possible by providing a full URL.
I would suggest an addition to the blocking and block log interfaces providing three fields:
- page name
- revision ID
- section (optional)
Filling all three fields would produce a link like:
When entered, these would appear associated with the block log entry as a link.
As a detailed discussion of a block may not exist at the time of an urgent blocking, it should be possible for the blocking admin to return to the block log and subsequently link to it, without having to take the clumsy step of re-blocking just to add a log entry with a link in it.
- you're the admin who placed the block + information was given at block time
- links: "further info", "edit further info" + information wasn't given at block time
- links: "add further info"
- you're someone else + information was given at block time
- link: "further info" + information wasn't given at block time
- no link
The add/edit links would go to a simple interface allowing the entry of the link information. Changes made to that information should be recorded in a system log somewhere in case of the (very unlikely) event of abuse of the feature.