From https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Labs/Tool_Labs/Needed_Toolserver_features (probably needs to be split up a bit)
- A Postgresql-server for OSM.
- access to OSM database -> db server with 600 GB of solid state disk space
- a few terabytes of diskspace to save the rendered map tiles (more or less the same space needed now on the toolserver -> how much is this?)
- user databases
- Render-server with enough space to host several layouts.
- We have special projects on toolserver like [http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WIWOSM WIWOSM] that combine Wikipedia- and OSM-data in one script. This is only possible if a script can connect to both databases. Without such an feature we will lose this service in Wikipedia. --[[User:Kolossos|Kolossos]] 18:02, 1 February 2013 (UTC)
- Other users created tools for translating places or to maintain street-lists. --[[User:Kolossos|Kolossos]] 19:12, 14 February 2013 (UTC)
"OSM is being added to WMF production. We'll have a test/dev version of OSM in Labs, but we have no plans on having a quasi-production like version of OSM in Labs." -- Ryan Lane, 20 December 2012
"The plan is to clean up the styles and tools that are no longer maintained/needed, to move about 10 styles and 5 tools to Labs, to move one style to production." -- Silke (WMDE), 6 April 2013