I've been having trouble with my iPad (Safari on iOS 7.1.1) not going over to the mobile site, even when I explicitly opt in to the mobile site. I'm logged in, and while this is a new iPad it's got old cookies from a restored backup of another device that I've used on Wikipedia before.
Will investigate the contents of cookies & localStorage via debugger before trying to clear everything...
Steps to reproduce:
- Open Safari and go to https://www.wikipedia.org/ portal
- Click "English"
- see that I'm on the desktop site, logged in
- Click "Mobile view" link to force back to mobile site
- Manually go back to https://www.wikipedia.org/
- Click "English" again
- ...see that I'm on the desktop site again, still logged in
- Follow above procedure up to getting on English mobile site
- Go to a random article
- "Read in other languages", pick a language like Czech or Galician
- find I'm back on the desktop site in that language
Platform: Tablet PC