As a user, I want to seeerror messages if Media Viewer is not able to perform a task, so I am not confused.
Display error messages when Media Viewer cannot perform a user request.
- Show an error message above the metadata panel in Media Viewer in the following use cases:
- a file cannot be displayed in Media Viewer
- the meta data cannot be fetched for that file
- your browser doesn’t have enough memory
- this file has been deleted
- this file URL is incorrect ...etc.
- In cases like these, provide a generic error message for now, such as:
“Sorry, there seems to be a technical issue. For more information, [ check this help page ]<check faq="" help="" this="">."</check>
- Link to this Help FAQ page:' mediawiki.org/wiki/Multimedia:About_Media_Viewer/Help '
- In cases where we know that the meta-data is not being displayed, consider this error message:
"Unable to show all information for this image. Please report this image to the community. Learn more on [ this help page ]".
For errors when the image cannot be loaded:
- The error is communicated using check this help page ]".
- The users can retry (we should provide this option only if there are chances that this could help in some of the cases)
- the users can report the issue or access a page here information about the issues (and how to report them) is provided.
- The background becomes of a lighter gray ( #333 ) to communicate that this is not a regular image.
For errors loading metadata:
- A grayish label indicating that information was not loaded.
#8 Media Viewer
#382 Show error message for deleted files
#383 Show detailed error information to user
#384 Show retry link in error message