$wgUseGzip doesn’t work in 1.24 - 1-26alpha
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

In MediaWiki master (1.26alpha) $wgUseGzip doesn’t compress pages on disk when $wgUseFileCache is enabled.

I tracked the $wgUseGzip setting and it appears it is only used in the constructor of FileCacheBase, then saved in a property mUseGzip for child classes. But, since 0fddd42, parent constructor of HTMLFileCache is not called, and mUseGzip is always false (previously there were no defined constructor in HTMLFileCache, so parent constructor was implicitely used).

I tested by adding parent::__construct(); and it works (it gzips the cached files on disk). I prepare a gerrit change.

PS: this bug is not related to the 4 other bugs related to $wgUseGzip, specifically not related to T28243 (older than this change).

Seb35 created this task.Jun 20 2015, 4:54 PM
Seb35 claimed this task.
Seb35 added a subscriber: MaxSem.
Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptJun 20 2015, 4:54 PM

Change 219584 had a related patch set uploaded (by Seb35):
$wgUseGzip had no effect

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/219584

Krinkle set Security to None.
Krinkle added a subscriber: aaron.

Change 219584 merged by jenkins-bot:
$wgUseGzip had no effect

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/219584

Seb35 added a comment.Jun 26 2015, 6:37 PM

Nobody complained before so probably this feature is not widely used, but I would say yes for backporting in 1.24 and 1.25 (the bug appeared in 1.24) since this feature is theoretically supported (given there is a config variable).

Nobody complained before so probably this feature is not widely used, but I would say yes for backporting in 1.24 and 1.25 (the bug appeared in 1.24) since this feature is theoretically supported (given there is a config variable).

So does anybody plan to put two patch in Gerrit for backporting?
Or should this task just be closed as resolved in 1.26?

Nobody complained before so probably this feature is not widely used, but I would say yes for backporting in 1.24 and 1.25 (the bug appeared in 1.24) since this feature is theoretically supported (given there is a config variable).

So does anybody plan to put two patch in Gerrit for backporting?
Or should this task just be closed as resolved in 1.26?

Change 246396 had a related patch set uploaded (by Martineznovo):
$wgUseGzip had no effect

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/246396

Change 246407 had a related patch set uploaded (by Martineznovo):
$wgUseGzip had no effect

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/246407

done, it now only needs merging :)

Umherirrender closed this task as "Resolved".Oct 16 2015, 6:22 PM
Umherirrender reopened this task as "Open".Oct 16 2015, 6:25 PM
Umherirrender added a subscriber: Umherirrender.

Bad timing due to security release in progress

Change 246396 merged by jenkins-bot:
$wgUseGzip had no effect

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/246396

Change 246407 merged by jenkins-bot:
$wgUseGzip had no effect

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/246407

Umherirrender closed this task as "Resolved".Oct 16 2015, 8:49 PM

Now all is merged