This topic proposal is inspired by:
It will hopefully include discussions of several on-going and prospective projects in the template and parsing space:
- Replacement of Tidy (T89331) and tidy-ing templates *before* inclusion ("hygenic templates")
- Efficient incremental template update after editing (instead of queuing entire articles for reparsing)
- "Wikitext 2.0" proposals to remove the skeletons and corner cases from wikitext parsing
- Tools to more easier create balanced templates ("hygenic arguments")
- T90914: Provide semantic wiki-configurable styles for media display
As well as improvements to code/data/presentation separation in the template engine, moving away from unsafe string concatenation:
- Content Widgets
- Scribunto improvements
- T379: RfC: HTML templating library (backend and frontend)
- Template Object Model
- TAssembly (can be backend for angularJS-like and mustache-like templates)
- Evangelize the need for template improvements, gather use cases from template authors, and communicate/disseminate some of the changes "definitely" coming up.
- Discuss the more speculative proposals, allow cross-fertilization of the best ideas, and hopefully commit to putting resources behind one or a few of the most promising proposals to bring them to a proof-of-concept implementation.